Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

Eggshell over semigloos

I painted a room with semigloss paint not that long ago.  Now I want to change it to eggshell.  What are the steps i need to take?
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2016-01-28T22:46:34+0000  by Cmaggs Cmaggs

Hello Cmaggs.  Welcome to the Community!

Using a good quality paint and primer in one, you should be able to paint directly over your existing wall paint, changing the sheen in one coat.  Otherwise, the steps you need to take are no different than the usual masking off of trim, protecting the floor from spills and drips, etc.  No surface prep of the walls should be needed unless they are dirty, at which point I would use a TSP substitute to clean them which would also de-gloss them some as well.

Chris.

Posted 2016-01-29T15:48:58+0000  by Chris_HD_CHI
Hi Cmaggs,

I like the Chris' idea of using TSP to clean and de-gloss your existing semi-gloss paint.

It is a traditional paint prep, but don't over apply ... mix about three tablespoons in two-gallons of warm water and clean with a slightly damp fresh sponge mop.

In the recent past, I helped a contractor who used paint and primer-in-one to coat 27 factory finished semi-gloss doors.

The paint made a film and did not chip or scratch, but when dinged it actually peeled off in one large sheet.

The existing semi-gloss factory finish repelled the new paint, preventing excellent adhesion.

Based upon this experience, I am going to recommend you apply one coat of tinted primer ahead of your new eggshell paint.

Tinting the primer allows you to add your first coat of color while priming.

Primer dries in an hour and acts like double-stick tape to ensure your new paint adheres well.

Over shiny semi-gloss and gloss trim paint, primer is a great idea for a quality paint job.

NOTE:
I've included this video to help you and other Community Members with sheen selection.

How To Pick The Right Paint Sheen

Watch Our How-To Video

Posted 2016-02-17T20:22:40+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+