Sign In to join the community | Help
Electrical

Electrical Outlet Question, Installation and Size Recommendation

I just ran a string of 6 outlets in a small cabin I am building.   I used 12 gauge 3 wire wire, and installed all non grounded 15 amp 2 prong outlets.  The 1st outlet from the power source is GFCI, so the string SB protected. Right?   Will I be able to run a space heater and microwave from these outlets now, or do I have to upgrade to  20 amp outlets, grounded 3 prong outlets?  I connected them in series.  Thanks
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2017-10-02T18:21:25+0000  by Katz Katz

Hi Katz,

You did not indicate what amperage the breaker is for this circuit 15 amp or 20 amp. To operate the space heater it should be a 20 amp breaker. I would use 20 amp grounded three prong outlets on this circuit for the maximum protection. Using non grounded outlets is not a good practice.

Mike
Posted 2017-10-02T19:30:34+0000  by Mike_HD_OC
Understand that even if you're building just a "cabin," the electrical code still applies.  Codes exist for your safety and the safety of those around you.

What prompted you to install ungrounded receptacles?  How is power supplied to this cabin?

For typical circuits, 15 amp receptacles can be used on a 20 amp circuit as long as there is more than one receptacle.  There's little to be gained to use 20 amp receptacles unless you plan on plugging in something that uses more than 15 amps.  Most portable space heaters max out at about 1500 watts or 12 amps.  Using the space heater and the microwave at the same time might be problematic.

A GFCI receptacle will protect devices "downstream" so long as it is wired correctly.  The downstream devices need to be fed from the "load" side of the GFCI.

Posted 2017-10-03T08:24:45+0000  by Adam444

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+