Sign In to join the community | Help
Electrical

Electrical Wire Sizes

I am pulling wire in a new construction I am building. What is the correct wire size for a 50 gallon hot water heater and a heat pump that requires 208/230V?

I believe the hot water heater is either 220 or 208 I haven't purchased it yet.
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2016-04-25T15:02:28+0000  by czuky czuky

Hi Czuky, welcome to the community. What will determine your wire gauge size is how many amps the hot water heater will draw. Having that information will tell you what gauge size wire the water heater should be running on. You also want to make sure you match the number of amps required with the correct breaker. So if you needed 12 gauge wire, for 20 apms, then you would need a 20 amp breaker. Czuky you should check with your local municipal code office to ensure you are installing your water heater and heat pump to code. Last , if your not comfortable working around electricity, you should hire a licensed electrician.

Thank you again for joining the community and please come back to us with questions on your other projects.

Posted 2016-04-25T15:31:30+0000  by Ken_HD_OC
The installation manual and/or manufacturer's service tag for the product will specify the size of the circuit required and from there you can determine the wire size. 

208 volts is uncommon in U.S. residential construction.  If this is a commercial building most, if not all, municipalities will require electrical work to be done by a licensed electrician.
Posted 2016-04-26T01:08:30+0000  by Adam444

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+