Sign In to join the community | Help
Electrical

Electrical Wiring Question

I ran a 14/2 cable from my house to my two-level back-yard shed for shed lighting and outlets. 

I want to control four single-bulb lights on the second level of the shed by one 3-way switch to be positioned on the first floor, and a second 3-way switch to be positioned at the top of the steps on the second floor. 

How would I wire my shed to do this?

Thank You!

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2016-12-08T23:24:51+0000  by MHeim MHeim

Hello MHeim.  Welcome to the Community!

The easiest way to do this would be to bring power to the light switch on the first floor, and then use 14/3 wire to go to the 2nd switch upstairs.  From that 2nd switch you would then send 14/2 wire to the 4 lights.  How you branch off from that 2nd switch depends on where they are located, as you will use wire nuts and pigtails in each light fixture electrical box.

The only difference between a 3 way pair of switches and the use of a single switch involves the need for an additional wire between them.  You can see in the diagram below that wiring between switches has both black and red power wires.  These are called travelers, and depending on the position of the toggle one of them is hot at all times.  This is why there is no "on" or "off" notation on 3 way switches, as each switch depends on the other's toggle position to either send or cut off power to the lights.  Please note that the grey wire will actually be the white neutral wire.  I had to color it grey so it would show up in the diagram.  Neutral wires are not used by simple switches, but are needed for light fixtures and outlets.

I assume that you know how to run wire and connect lights.  If you need further assistance, please don't hesitate to ask.  Thanks.

Chris.

Posted 2016-12-09T16:06:40+0000  by Chris_HD_CHI

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+