Sign In to join the community | Help
Flooring

Eliminating cat odor in subfloor - so cats do not smell it

I have read quite a bit about removing cat urine smells from the subfloor, but I haven’t seen anything specific to eliminating the odor so cats don't pick it up and do what they do, pee.

I currently have carpets that were destroyed by my aging sick cat. Once she began to lose control her healthy siblings follows suit. I haven't been able to replace the carpets until now. I have had them professionally cleaned (frequently) but once it started and the smell was there for the other two cats to pick up, its been a battle. I imagine the subfloor has been damaged or at minimum, stained. I have wood floors to replace the carpet, but I need to be sure that what I use to seal the subfloor not only removes the odor for me but so the cats do not pick it up. They have only had issues with the area my sick car had initially messed. 

Is there a product that is strong enough to elimste any lingering scent that the cats could pick up? 
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2018-05-31T04:41:10+0000  by Tamarraw Tamarraw

Hello Tamarraw and welcome to the Community.

Here is a LINK to several urine odor-removing products.  These products can be very effective. 

For example Anti-Icky-Poo, Combination of enzymes that breakdown organic contaminants and live bacteria that literally consume those sources of contamination and leave the affected area permanently free from the offensive odors without a trace or residue.

The sub floor can provide greater challenges because it is a softer wood, which absorbs fluids more readily and deeper.  If the volume of urine has penetrated deep into the sub-floor, the odor eliminator needs to go as deep into the sub-floor to be effective.  This can make recovery of the subfloor difficult. 

Another solution may be to remove and replace the sub-floor in the affected areas.  This is a common practice when a sub-floor has had water damage.

It would be great to hear what approach you decided to use and how it works out.

Thanks for your inquiry.

Charlotte

Posted 2018-05-31T15:19:29+0000  by Char_HD_CHI
Thank you! I'm removing the carpet this weekend and will have a better idea of what I am facing. Removing the portion on the subfloor with the damage seems to be the likely direction. The product information is super helpful as well!
Posted 2018-05-31T18:00:20+0000  by Tamarraw
Hello Tamarraw.

If your sub floor is stained but otherwise not weakened/damaged, you may not have to tear it out.

I would consider trying the Clorox Urine Remover, which is designed to work either on soft or hard surfaces.  After letting it completely dry out, apply a shellac based primer/sealer over and beyond the affected area.  What I would use is called B-I-N from Zinsser.

Chris.

Posted 2018-06-01T13:51:20+0000  by Chris_HD_CHI

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+