Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

Emulsion/spackle questions

Hey Ya'll

So I have 2 questions really:

1. Im a redecorating at home and wanted to ask why emulsion peels off or bubbles when I apply a second coat, is it because I am not waiting long enough for the first coat to dry ?

2. I am also filling some holes in the same drywall and once the spackle has dried, sanded and painted it of course has a much smoother finish that the existing emulsioned drywall around it and stands out like a sore thumb. Any tips to help it blend in and with the painted wall around it ?

Thanks.

Guy

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-03-19T18:03:25+0000  by guyinLA guyinLA

Hello GuyInLA!

Welcome to The Community!

Q #1

Emulsions and/or coatings require specific dry time per coat ... usually found on the application instruction.

Recoating too quickly can re-wet the original coating and cause peeling and bubbling like you describe.

Another culprit might be a wall that is not properly prepared.

If the original paint was shiny (ex. semi-gloss) it was designed to repel dirt and stains ... it will also repel the next coat of paint.

Shiny surfaces can be prepared using de-glossing cleaners like TSP, but an even better solution would be primer.

Tri Sodium Phosphate.jpg

Primer is like double-stick tape ... it clings to the original surface and creates a surface that the new paint can cling to as well.

Have your Paint Associate tint your primer similar to your new color ... you'll apply your first coat of color while priming.

Q #2

Drywall repairs often do not match the existing wall ... in your case the repair is much smoother.

When I want to add texture to a wall or repair, I use a 1/2-inch nap or 3/4-inch nap roller cover.

You standard smooth wall is painted with a 3/8-inch nap.

As you go up in nap length, the nap extends as your roll and pulls at the paint, creating an orange peel texture.

The longer the nap, the more texture you'll create.

Purchase one of each (1/2 and 3/4), but begin re-rolling your spot repair with the 1/2.

Allow the paint to dry at least four-hours and then shine a light down the wall to see if the texture you created is similar to the existing wall.

If not, add a layer using the slightly longer 3/4-inch roller cover to add even more pronounced texture.

NOTE:

There will be a point of diminishing returns, when adding more texture will be counterproductive.

Take special care to prevent going beyond this point.

And, you may have to repaint one wall corner-to-corner once you've texturized your smooth repair.

Take your time!

You'll get the results you seek.

Rushing through, however, may create more secondary repairs ... and become very frustrating.

Posted 2013-03-19T19:44:42+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

ok perfect they both makes sense, Thanks !

guy

Posted 2013-03-19T19:51:54+0000  by guyinLA

One more question...

I have removed some cable conduit that had an adhesive backing to it so I can paint around it properly. How do I get this almost double sided sticky tape off the walls ???

Thanks in advance.

Guy

Posted 2013-03-20T02:06:29+0000  by guyinLA

Hello Guy,

Pat is out of the office today, and I wanted to jump in and answer your question. My name is Christine and I work in the paint department at Home Depot.

Many customers of mine that are faced with the same dilemma as you, use a product called "Lift Off #2" by Mötsenböcker’s.

Lift Off 2

This product is great to just have around the house. It will remove any kind of stickiness on almost any surface, including painted and unpainted drywall. Simply spray it on and leave it for about 60 seconds and scrap off with a plastic scraper. Be very careful not to dig into the drywall underneath. You may have to do this a few times to get off all of the tape.

What sheen of paint in underneath the tape? If it is flat, you may have a hard time removing the tape, even with a chemical. Flat paint tends to grab whatever is on top of it. With that being said, its not impossible to remove, it's just going to require a bit more elbow grease. If it is anything but flat, you shouldn't have too much trouble.

Please let us know if we can help with anything else!

Christine :)

Posted 2013-03-20T13:24:38+0000  by Christine_HD_ATL

Christine,

Thanks, with some persistance and that product it came off !

Guy 

Posted 2013-03-21T15:56:46+0000  by guyinLA

Outstanding recommendation and outstanding solution!

That Christine really knows her products!

Thanks for the feedback Guy!

Posted 2013-03-21T16:00:33+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+