Sign In to join the community | Help
Flooring

Engineered Wood "Click Lock"?

My first post here!  Here's some background.   I've wanted wood floors forever and my husband doesn't care for them.  Right now, we have saltillo tile in the living room and kitchen, which is fine.  We have carpet in the bedrooms a sitting room and a very large office/game room.  We also have some (very expensive) vinyl plank flooring in the hall, dining area, tv room, sunroom and laundry room.  They are high traffic areas so I'm okay with that for now.   I desparately need to ditch about 700 square feet of carpeting on one side of the house and I'm trying to avoid the appearance of many different colors/textures of flooring.  New flooring will butt up against the saltillo in one doorway and vinyl in 2 other doorways. 

We tried some laminate in our daughters bedroom and we all hate it!  Something about the un-solid feeling under your feet....and the noise when you walk on it sounds kind of hollow.   My mother has engineered wood in her home and it feels and sounds solid!  I think I have the husband convinced that this will work for us. We have a number of re-modeling projects going on right now so I don't have a ton of money to spend.  I found a Home Legend engineered wood on sale at a really great price that matches pretty well with the vinyl plank in the rest of the house.  The description calls it a "Click Lock"  Hardwood Flooring.

I'm worried that the "Click Lock" will end up having that hollow feeling just like the laminate does.  Questions: What is the difference between the "Click Lock" versus the 1/2" engineerd wood? Other than the thickness of course.  Why is it so much less expensive?  Is the click lock a floating floor? Can we install it with adhesive or nails directly to the slab surface?  I'd very much appreciate some information/advice or hear of experiences with click lock hardwood. 

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2012-12-08T04:21:26+0000  by janeU janeU

Hey again janeU,

Sorry I was out of the office last week...

You actually lucked out with your flooring since it is both an engineered and click-lock floor! In the case of your floor, it was manufactured to be installed in more than one way.

Home Legend Hand Scraped Oak Gunstock Click Lock Hardwood Flooring

Just as I stated in the earlier post on this thread, click-lock flooring is installed like laminate. That means, it's very easy to install.

However, this kind of flooring is also a glue-down style. With that knowledge, it is up to up to decide exactly which type of install you'd like: floating or glue it down.

If you decide to float it, use an underlayment that has a moisture barrier such as the one we sell below in our stores:

Roberts 3-in-1 Premium Underlayment for Click-Lock Flooring

This would be placed under the planks for a good solid foundation for your floors...if you decide to float them. 

If you decide to glue down your floors, I would only use a urethane-based glue to adhere the planks securely to the concrete.

We sell these in our store in 2 gallon containers and work very well to hold down wood plank floors over concrete. The urethane itself, when applied properly, will create its own moisture barrier. This will give you the secure install you need for your new floors.

Roberts Wood and Bamboo Urethane Adhesive

No matter which install method you choose, follow the instructions and you'll have a floor that will last for many years to come!

Any further questions you have on your new flooring? Please let us know and we'll be happy to assist.

aboveaveragejoe

Posted 2012-12-17T20:35:57+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

thanks for the reply Joe.  Here is the floor I was looking at.  http://www.homedepot.com/Flooring-Hardwood-Flooring-Engineered-Click-Hardwood/h_d1/N-5yc1vZb9as/R-202501120/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&storeId=10051#.UMRG2Hd-pD5

I'm fine with the moisture barrier over the concrete though it is extremely dry here in West TX :).  Do I have to use a padding with this?   I really want a solid feel.

Posted 2012-12-09T08:11:18+0000  by janeU

Good afternoon janeU.

Thanks for joining us on the community, welcome!

It sounds like you are doing a major overhaul on your flooring, so lets make sure you get the right information to get it done.

You are having concerns regarding the Click-Lock Hardwood flooring being similar to the underfoot feel of laminate.

Click-Lock, be in in laminate, vinyl, or in real wood plank form, is simply describing how it is installed. This illustration I made a while back best demonstrates how engineered and click-locks are made.

engineered and click-lock flooring

This system typically 'floats' on the existing subfloor, and in the cases of wood and laminate, have an underlayment that gives cushioning and support underneath the new floor. The floor mouldings and trim alongside the weight of the floor being planked together essentially locks the floor in place. So, you were right; a click-lock floor is a floating floor.

If the new floor you purchase calls for an underlayment like a laminate, I wouldn't directly compare it to a laminate floor. Reasons why is because most real wood click-lock floors are thicker, better constructed, and simply have a better warranty than most laminate.

Any real wood flooring, whether it is glued, floated, or nailed to the subfloor is only going to be effective in how well it was originally installed. With that said, you'll need to carefully check the manufacturer's instructions on how your new floor can be installed. 

As for your question explaining the difference between a 'click-lock' versus a 1/2" engineered wood...well honestly...I'm going to need more information. If you gave me SKU's or specific models I could tell you what the differences are since there are so many floors we carry.

At least with the cost (it being so expensive), most Click-Lock floors are built in layers which give them more durability so they can be installed in areas most other wood floors can't be put in, like basement.

And generally, with anything in life, you are trading the more expensive floor for saving time and money. The click-lock system installs a lot faster than any other wood flooring system. Just my 2 cents on the matter.

As with any flooring you purchase, or any new product you buy, ALWAYS refer to the manufacturers instructions on how the floor will be put down. I can't stress this enough, some floors that look exactly the same in the flooring showroom can be different once you start reading the packaging.

If it is a concrete subfloor, you'll need to make sure you have given the concrete a vapor barrier first so no moisture can come through and damage your new floors. 

Theres a lot of other variables here as well, but if you lock into a particular floor you like, give us the description and model number so we can further assist you and give you the right advice.

I hope this has helped you out, and let us know if we can assist you further.

abovevaveragejoe

Posted 2012-12-08T21:37:31+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+