Sign In to join the community | Help
Build & Remodel

Expanding Bathroom

Good Afternoon!

I would like to expand and remodel my bathroom, basically push back a wall.  What do I have to do when dealing with the electrical components in the wall that I am about to break?  How do I move the light switch?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-05-16T17:17:05+0000  by jakala2 jakala2

Hello jakala2,

Welcome to the community!

Thanks for the great question regarding wiring your bathroom expansion.

When I wired a basement for my friend a few years back, I was mindful of planning and detailing what wires to go where. You are no exception in this rule. Also with that in mind, I will also strongly recommend you consult a licensed and insured electrician in your area, as there maybe specific codes in your area when it comes to capping off and placing the moved/dead wires, as I have seen codes and regulations change from county and state, even city. Also, our wiring devices partner, Leviton, has a great tech support hotline for any specific questions on receptacles and switches, they can be found at 1-800-824-3005 Monday through Friday 8:30 AM to 7 PM Eastern Time.

With that said, this is wiring that can be done, but you'll need to do a mental (or paper, at least with me) checklist of what needs to be done during and after the wall and before the sheetrock is up. 

• How many wires/fixtures/switches do you know are in/on the wall?
  • Do you want to add on any additional switches receptacles on your new wall?
  • Have you checked the see where the source or lead wires are coming in through the walls, either via the ceiling or another location?
  • are there other intrusions that maybe in the wall, such as any plumbing pipes?
While I know some of those questions can't be answered until you take down the existing drywall, but its always a good idea to plan ahead in case you run into any issues down the road.  The least amount of trouble you can run into, wiring-wise, is simply extending the wiring from the source and put the connections in a box and tape them up. On the opposite end of that spectrum though, you may have things in the wall or additions that you'll want to contend with. 
switchwiring.JPG
Again, doing a quick recap of this with an local electrician will help you out, in case you run into any issues behind the drywall....
Hope this helps you out,
aboveaveragejoe
EDIT: insert photo

Posted 2011-05-16T18:14:12+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+