Sign In to join the community | Help
Tools & Hardware

Exterior Planter Box

I have a couple of questions I hope someone can part some knowlwdge on me as I am a novice.

1) Should I use nails or screws for a building an exterior planter (if screws what type should I get)

2) I would also like to pre-drill the wood if I use screws and I am wondering is there a meaurement guide as to what drill bit to use for the different screw size.

Thanks so much

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2012-07-18T17:28:28+0000  by EDWARDKEOGH EDWARDKEOGH

Hello EDWARDKEOGH,

Welcome to the community.

I would suggest using screws to build your planter box. This will make it much easier to take apart if you ever need to replace a damaged piece or want to change it in any way.

The only outdoor screws that I use are made by Deck Mate. They are Polymer-Plated Steel and are coated with evercote for rust protection. I have never had any trouble with them rusting or the heads stripping out. Every box comes with a Phillips#2 / Square drive bit. They are available in 2 different colors. Tan for cedar and Red for redwood.

Deck Mate Tan.jpgDeck Mate Red.jpg

Galvanized nails will also work but they are a lot harder to get out and will also damage the wood if you ever try and take it apart.

As far as pre-drilling it’s a great idea and Paul one of our most active members here on the community recently posted a list of pilot hole sizes for screw so here is the link to his post. Thanks Paul.

I hope this has answered all of your questions.

If you have any other questions please let me know. I would love to help.

Please take a picture of your planter boxes and share it here on the community. We all love seeing great DIY project.

Posted 2012-07-18T22:26:17+0000  by Christine_HD_OC

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+