Sign In to join the community | Help
Build & Remodel

Exterior plywood waterproofing

We recently had some damage done to the exterior of our home.  We have stucco but want to eventually change to vinyl siding.  That is an expensive project that we cannot quite frankly afford.  So, I am going to repair the the exterior wall with plywood, but I would like to know the best method to waterproof it so that water does not leak there.  Can anyone help me with this issue?
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2016-10-02T17:24:36+0000  by Maverick0503 Maverick0503

Hello Maverick0503 and welcome to the Community.

Below is a cross section of a typical exterior wall.

Each component has an important purpose. 

The #3 component is your sheathing or in your case plywood. 

#2 is the air barrier insulation, more commonly known as house wrap.  House wrap is energy efficient. It helps to reduce energy costs by blocking heating and air-conditioning from escaping buildings. It is also breathable to allow moisture in wood framing or insulation to escape which prevents mold and mildew growth. House wrap can also prevent bulk water intrusion. It is a vapor-permeable material that helps expel internal moisture while repelling rain.

#1 Exterior Cladding is the protective layer of material that separates a building’s structure and the interior from exterior elements, such as weather, sound and critters.  The stucco that failed and the vinyl siding are two types of cladding.  Click here for some siding options.

I understand your financial situation but if you don’t protect the plywood from moisture with step 2 and 3 you may incur costlier damage to your structure.  A very temporary fix would be to seal the seams and paint with an exterior paint.

Thanks for your inquiry.

Charlotte

Posted 2016-10-04T14:00:38+0000  by Char_HD_CHI

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+