Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

Answered

Exterior repainting

I am wondering what I can use to remove the chipped paint and what products I should buy to repaint the balcony sill. I have attached photos. The material under the paint seems like some kind of metal. Any help would be appreciated.
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2016-05-11T23:13:48+0000  by Arvinakh Arvinakh

Arvinakh,

You obviously have bad adhesion of the paint to the metal flashing on the balcony wall. I suspect that a stiff putty knife would aid in getting the remaining paint to pop off the surface. First, I would take 100 grit sandpaper and sand through the edges to bare metal. This will assure that the paint does not start peeling on the vertical faces of the flashing. The popping paint will then stop at the corner. You do not necessarily have to remove all the old paint, but it would be optimum for appearance and that further peeling does not occur. You should however remove the paint to where it is still firmly adhered. Another option would be to chemically strip the surface.

I believe the reason the old paint peeled is that the flashing appears to be galvanized metal and that oil paint was probably used on it. Oil paint reacts chemically with galvanized metal and peeling results.

Your new paint should be a 100% acrylic based exterior house paint, such as those by Behr. Acrylic ( latex) paints are the preferred paint for galvanized and aluminum flashings. They need no dedicated primer, as the acrylic based house paints act as their own primer on metal.

Best Answer

Posted 2016-05-12T06:56:16+0000  by ordjen
What product do you recommend for stripping the paint chemically?
Posted 2016-05-12T17:18:53+0000  by Arvinakh
l would first strip as much as a could dry before committing to chemical stripper. Of the chemical strippers, I find the old time tested nasty strippers to work best. Klean Strip "Premium Stripper" works well. It will rapidly cause the old paint to bubble up and you will be able to scrape it away. A final wash with lacquer thinner will remove any remaining residue. No further prep is then necessary. Just give it a couple coats of Behr exterior house paint in the color and finish of your choice.
Posted 2016-05-13T04:31:45+0000  by ordjen

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+