Sign In to join the community | Help

FLOORING ON THE WALL

Are you looking to redecorate a room in your house and you don’t want to paint, you can’t find wallpaper that you like, have you thought of putting laminate flooring on the wall? Before you yell out ‘What’ consider this, people have used wood paneling for years in their Living room, Recreation or Den to give it that warm inviting feel. Also keep in mind that restaurants and hotels have been decorating this way for years. Don’t limit yourself with running the planks horizontally, you can also go vertically and if you’re really adventurous, try installing it diagonally. 

Once you have picked out which laminate planks you are going to install, make sure the planks are kept in the same room where they will be installed 48 hours prior to the installation, this will allow the wood to acclimate to room. 

Some manufactures have lot numbers on the package, think of lot numbers as a means of consistency within the product, you want all of the packages to have the same lot number, if they are not then you could have a variation of color or thickness.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ShJ7s4NzdP8

SKILL LEVEL: Novice/Intermediate

TIME: 6-10 hours

COST: Approx. $200 based on an 8’ x 8’ section of wall and purchasing material only

TOOLS AND MATERIALS

• Laminate flooring
  • Mallet
  • Liquid Nails® adhesive
  • Caulking gun
  • Stud Finder
  • Tapping board or 2x4
  • Wood filler (optional)
  • Nail gun with brad nails
  • Air compressor you can buy or rent from The Home Depot®
  • Level

HOW-TO STEPS

Floor Wall 1.jpeg

STEP 1: MEASURE

Measure your wall and buy your flooring accordingly.

Measure ceiling height and calculate how many rows of boards will fit fully on your wall. (If you have to cut a row of boards to fit, decide whether you want the cut row to be on the top or near the bottom. If the cut row will be on the bottom, work from the top of the wall down. If the cut row will be on the top, work from the bottom of the wall up.

Floor Wall 2.jpeg

STEP 2: FIND YOUR STUDS

Use a stud finder to determine where the studs are. Mark them both horizontally and vertically with a pencil, making a reference grid on your wall.

Floor Wall 3.jpeg

STEP 3: RACK YOUR BOARDS

Lay boards out on the floor to plan which will fit and which will need to be cut to fit, setting aside boards that will need to be cut.

Floor Wall 4.jpeg

STEP 4: GLUE

Squirt a thin strip of Liquid Nails onto the back of the first plank in a zigzag pattern.

Apply this board to the wall in the upper corner (if working from the top down). Align the edge of the board with the edge of the wall.

Floor Wall 5.jpeg

STEP 5: NAIL

Use the nail gun to affix the board securely to the wall. Nail into the studs through the tongue of the board at a 45-degree angle

STEP 6: REPEAT

Repeat this process to fill up the wall.

Measure and cut each board to make sure they fit evenly.

Join your boards with the gap as close to the middle of the parallel boards as possible.

Use a mallet and tapping board or 2x4 to gently tap each new board against the adjoining board.

If you are planning to cut a row lengthwise to fit the top or bottom, glue the back and tap this board

into place. If you only need to make a short cut, you may want to nail the face of the board into place and smooth over the nail holes with wood filler.

Floor Wall 7_Final.jpeg

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2012-08-03T19:52:56+0000  by Angelo_HD_CHI Angelo_HD_CHI

Any suggestions for a doorway in the middle of the wall?  I'm trying to decide between butting the planks up against the existing door moulding (that will probably look weird), removing the moulding and coming square to the jamb (will probably look unfinished) or using a plank vertically (possibly ripped thin) to receive the horizontal planks.

I'm going to have to also deal with electrical outlets and a heating vent, but I think I've figured them out..

Thanks!

BK

Posted 2013-03-17T17:25:49+0000  by BKinNJ

My question is, Do you have to use a nail gun? Can you not just use the liquidnails to hold the laminate on the walls? I was going to start this project and  just use the liquidnails but then I seen where you are using a nailer too!  I have one wall that is 7.5x16 and another wall 4 x4 wall has paneling on it. Can you just put the laminate over the paneling or does it need to be removed first?? Thank You

Posted 2012-09-28T14:03:10+0000  by goodlemon
I meant to say the nails from the nail gun. Will the nails get in the way fitting the board above it. thanks
Posted 2012-09-16T17:23:24+0000  by mglokc
when you staple the flooring to the wall, won't the staple get in the way of fitting the board above it?
Posted 2012-09-16T17:14:12+0000  by mglokc

Hey destinydawn4u!

Thanks for your question and welcome to the community!

Putting laminate or real wood planks can be placed on a ceiling, but since you are working against gravity, theres a bit more things you'd need to consider before doing this kind of project. 

Most pros opt to take out the existing drywall and instead put up a plywood base before placing any planks over it. The existing ceiling drywall (if that is what your ceiling is now) isn't suitable as a direct base since this is on a ceiling and not a wall, the gypsum in the drywall doesn't allow proper adhesion and workability for any plank flooring on the ceiling. This is the big difference between placing this on the wall versus a ceiling. Failure to do this will make the planks unsafe and not work at all.

Without getting into too much details, there's things to consider such as safety when using ladders and wearing eye and breathing protection, since you are doing the exact opposite installation of the floor. 

After using a plywood base, you can use the same steps in this thread authored by Tangelo to get the right installation.

Let us know if have any further questions and let us know if we can be of further assistance.

aboveaveragejoe

Posted 2012-09-01T22:23:37+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL
Can you put on ceiling in the house???????????????
Posted 2012-09-01T21:29:05+0000  by destinydawn4u

Hi nlp,

While I don't know this hardwood flooring since it was bought from another company, the first thing that caught my attention was that it was placed outside. Even though it was done on a lanai celing and looked great in the beginning, almost every hardwood floor out on the market today (including us) isn't rated for outdoors. I realize it doesn't get wet or direct sunlight, but the polyurethane isn't suitable for any outdoor exposure. This is due to constant temperature changes, and even without direct rain hitting it, moisture will and can be present on the surface. 

With that said, I would of spoken to a representative there or with us before doing this project. Reason why is that since you placed the flooring in an area that it isn't supposed to go without proper finishing (putting exterior polyurethane AT LEAST on the surface), you most likely voided any warranty you had. I'm sorry you had to hear this, but normally this kind of flooring is used indoors, ceiling or not. 

I'm thinking the film is the breaking down of the top coat of polyurethane or finish from the factory due to it being exposed to the elements. You would most likely need to resand the top coat to ensure the final coating is weather-proof. Before you do any of this though, carefully inspect the edges of the ceiling to ensure no moisture damage is done to the planks. 

This kind of flooring wasn't meant to be outside, but with making sure the coating and sides are weatherproof, it can hold up better to the elements.

Hope this helps you out,

aboveaveragejoe

Posted 2012-09-01T20:34:45+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

Hey Hectorm,

Thanks for your question; welcome to the community!

Great question you asked. With most pneumatic and manual nailers we sell and rent out, I've typically seen the cleat fit into the groove area, where the nail would go in. Of course, this also will depend largely on the manufacturer of the floor as well as the nailer, so refer to it for proper nailing. 

Hope this helps you out,

aboveaveragejoe

Posted 2012-09-01T19:58:32+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

Good afternoon edoxtator,

To get a nice corner for your 'floor' walls, you can approach this several ways.

Before we get into that, always start out with the first 3 steps that before gluing any planks permanently together. 

Laying/measuring out your planks ensures that when the time comes to the final installation, you can reduce or eliminate any issues when it comes to finally reaching the corners with your planks.

After doing this, approach the corners through two options for inside walls and one for outside corners: stop with a 1/4" from both walls and cover with quarter round or place one edge completely to the edge and lay the last row of the other wall over the other planks completely. The illustration below demonstrates this clearer:

laminate on walls corner options

To get it exactly 'square' in whichever option you use, always use proper layout and measuring before committing to the final installation. Once this is done, the rest of the steps will easily fall into place as long as they are followed  correctly in this original thread.

Hope this helps you out,

aboveaveragejoe

Posted 2012-09-01T19:26:18+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL
"Flooring on the CEILING". While awaiting a reply from an HD pro or anyone with any suggestion, I highly recommend not buying anything from Lumber Liquidators. Their customer service is horrible. The store mgr seems to only be interested in selling and watching his computer behind the front desk. They have no interest in helping or giving any advice to anyone once they made the sale. I'm forever sorry I did not purchase the wood from Home Depot. Live and learn...NLP.
Posted 2012-08-31T20:49:25+0000  by nlp
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+