Sign In to join the community | Help
Lawn & Garden

Fall and winter lawn care

My lawn has been neglected for 10 years, with nothing but mowing during that time. I moved in in June, and this summer hired someone to mow.  What should I be doing to start making this so called lawn healthy?  It is more weeds than lawn in the front and most of the back.

I live in NC near the middle of the state, and have a fair amount of tall pines in both the front and the back (right now, most of the lawn is carpeted with a thin layer of pine needles.) The soil is loamy for just an inch or so, then red clay.  There is an area out back where the previous owner trucked in regular fine, white sandbox sand to make a "beach" for his above ground pool.  That sand is about 4 - 6 inches deep, covered by weeds.

I have seen at some time in the past an annual calendar which shows what projects for lawn care for each month of the year. Is there a website I should reference or can you just tell me about fall and winter, and I'll pester you again in February?

Thanks.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2012-11-20T16:16:58+0000  by cathy27518 cathy27518

Hi Cathy,

I’m Travis in Atlanta. Welcome to the Community!

You and I both live in the same climate zone, 7b, and many types of grass will grow there. The mid-Atlantic states and eastward to west Texas are considered the “Transition States”. We can grow warm season grasses like Bermuda and cool season grass like fescue.

Both types of grass grow here, but neither will grow optimally. At times, it will get a little too cold for Bermuda and hot enough to damage fescue.

Bermuda needs a minimum of 6 hours of sunlight per day to grow well. The areas that have trees will not support Bermuda grass. Bermuda likes sandy soil, so if there is enough sun where the pool was, you may want to plant Bermuda there.

The areas among the pine trees will grow fescue well. Pines allow 50% of the sun to filter through which will enable fescue grass to flourish. Both grasses can coexist, but will appear different in the winter when the Bermuda goes dormant.

As far as lawn scheduling is concerned, there are too many factors that make it impossible to tell everyone what to do and when to do it. The fact that you can have two different grasses in your yard complicates this matter. If your grass is green in winter, it will benefit from a fertilizer application.

Generally speaking, freezing temperatures control most weeds. The weeds that survive the killing freeze can be removed by pulling, or by using a selective herbicide that is safe for grass. Limit the application of a particular herbicide to only twice per year. Wait and apply herbicides so that you get the most control with a single application.

You will need to minimize the loft of the sand by redistributing it around your landscape. As with all things, moderation is crucial. Adding sand to clay soil will help loosen the clay, thus improving it’s texture.

Bermuda grass is best when planted in the spring. (May-June) Fescue should be planted in the fall. (September-October). The Certified Nursery Consultant at your local Home Depot will help you with all of your gardening needs.

We are here for you. Feel free to” pester” us ANYTIME.

Keep us posted. We’re here to help!

LawnRanger

Posted 2012-11-20T19:29:32+0000  by Travis_HD_ATL
I live in wa and I'm a first time home owner! I have no idea how to keep the grass healthy! I watered it in the summer but some how it didn't stay so green! Is there anyway I can get it green before April?
Posted 2013-01-29T05:34:24+0000  by Summer_harvey42

Hi Summer_harvey42,

Welcome to the community!

The climate in Washington varies greatly from west to east. If I knew your zip code, I could pinpoint your climate zone on the map.

http://planthardiness.ars.usda.gov/PHZMWeb/Default.aspx

Also, depending on your location, the choices of grass will be different. We need to identify what type of grass your lawn is.

If it spreads and grows into surrounding flower beds, it is probably Bermuda, Centipede or Zoysia. If it grows very tall and remains relatively green in winter, you may have Fescue grass.

Post back to us so we can make accurate recomendations to improve your lawn.

LawnRanger

Posted 2013-01-29T15:53:59+0000  by Travis_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+