Sign In to join the community | Help
Heating & Cooling

Fan Light Control

Hello All

When I was younger living with my parents I used to have a ceiling fan light in my room that was controlled by a single switch (Standard single wall switch).  However it was able to control the light and fan independently.  

When I turned the switch on the first time, only the light would come on, the second time i cycled the power, the light and fan would come on, and the third time I cycled the power, only the fan would come on.  Then this would repeat.  

So if the light was on, and I wanted to go to bed with just the fan on, I would turn it off then on (both fan and light on now), then off then on again so only the fan was on.

Since I grew up with this I thought this was just another standard way to wire a fan, but for the last three days I have been searching for a way to do this and I can't find any info on this anywhere.  

I am now assuming that either this is a feature built into the fan, or there is a control unit at the fan that changes state for each toggle of the switch.  

Has anyone heard of this before?

Does anyone know what this would be called so I can refine my searching?

Or is this a feature in the fan itself?

I have recently moved into a house that has a single switch for a fan light, and instead of pulling new wires or going to a wireless remote, I figured I would wire it with the above discribed "momentary switch" like I had it when I was a kid, but, I can't find any info on it at all.

Thanks in advance.

Regards.

CHK 

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2012-11-06T21:54:18+0000  by CHK CHK

Hello CHK and welcome to the community!

The momentary switch you described is not something that I am familiar with, do you happen to know the brand name & model, it sure sounds unique. 

The two options you mentioned about using a wireless device & pulling extra wires are the only ways I am familiar with regarding multi-function. 

Thanks for posting!

Posted 2013-05-03T19:54:04+0000  by Angelo_HD_CHI

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+