Sign In to join the community | Help
Outdoors

Fiberglass Swimming Pool Slide - Epoxy Coating

I recently painted my fiberglass pool slide using an epoxy primer and paint. The end result is ok, however, there are minor gritty bumps that may cause discomfort even light scratching when using the slide. Is there a way to remove these imperfections, I believe were caused by the nap roller cover used, without damaging the paint job? Perhaps a sanding and/or buffing technique? Please advise. Thank You!

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-07-28T03:03:26+0000  by edgecrusher95 edgecrusher95

Hello GoFlint!

The Home Depot carries several of the products you'll need to prep your fiberglass steps:

1) Bondo-Glass is repair putty with a cream hardener that can be used to fill small holes, deep scratches, and fill areas where the surface has flaked off;

2) The combination of fiberglass cloth and fiberglass resin can be applied to overcoat the putty and uniformly cover the repaired surface; and

3) The combination can be rough sanded using medium-grit sandpaper and sanded smooth using fine or very fine.

At this point, the damaged surfaces should be very smooth and ready for gel-coat.

This marine product is the surface coating that makes fiberglass waterproof.

Without gel-coat, fiberglass cloth and resin are water resistant, but not waterproof.

Not typically a marine supplier, The Home Depot has historically carried and then later, not carried gel-coat.

When ready to begin your repair, check online at HomeDepot.com to determine if gel-coat is available.

If not, check with your local marine supply store.

On a scale from one to ten, where ten is most difficult, this repair would be an 8.5 ... challenging, but within the ability of most DIYers.

FINALLY: Marine products tend to be considerably more expensive, so be certain to locate a supplier, shop for quantity required and price, and then budget for your entire list of supplies before beginning.

SAFETY NOTE: Be certain to use a dust mask rated for fiberglass particles when sanding the surface as well as a fresh air mask to prevent inhaling vapors when working with the resin and gel-coat.

Posted 2012-09-04T17:27:34+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

My dad's pool needs to be "re-fiberglassed", the fiber glass coating at the steps is starting to ware, thus specs of fiberglass are flaking off.  He obtained a few quotes to have it "re-fiberglassed" and it was through the roof.

So I am seeking alternative ways to do it your self "re-fiberglass" pools.  It seems this topic sugest an epoxy coating system.  A few questions regarding this alternative system:

-How long will an epoxy coating system last?

-Given the current condition of my dad's pool, is there any special prep that would need to take place?

-What is the best epoxy coating system in the market?

Thanks!

Posted 2012-09-03T00:17:03+0000  by goflint

Hey Fisherman18!

Your project is a bit different than an above pool slide.

The product you need can be ordered online: 

The manufacturer specifications for Insl-X say:

• For all in-ground masonry pools
  • Unique Acrylic Formula designed for underwater use
  • Resists UV damage and Pool Chemicals for lasting color and durability
  • Resists mold, mildew and algae
  • One coat covers 250 sq.ft. per gallon. 2 coats are recommended. For example = a 15 ft. x 30 ft. pool requires 6 gallons to properly paint
  • Provides a decorative waterproof coating for all masonry pools
  • Unique waterproof formula is specifically designed for under water use. For use over all previously painted pools
  • Semi - Gloss finish
  • Clean tools with soap and water
  • Self-priming on all properly prepared masonry pool surfaces
  • Subject to or will include a recycling fee in the following states

It comes in a satin or semi-gloss finish, is water clean-up, and can be sprayed, brushed, or rolled.

Several colors are available. Shop HomeDepot.com and enter the keyword Insl-X.

Posted 2012-07-31T17:14:05+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

I have a fiberglass pool slide that needs a paint job. I will have to sand out some ruff spots. Can you tell me will this paint give it the gel coat slick finish?

Posted 2012-07-27T18:47:02+0000  by Fisherman18

Hello Igromova!

Rust-Oleum Marine Topside is not available in an aqua color.

The color selection includes: gray, black, navy blue, deep green, sand, oyster, bright red, and white ... all have a gloss finish (white is the only color available in semi-gloss).

You can inter-mix Marine Topside with itself to create your preferred color.

I would suggest mixing tablespoon size samples to determine your formula.

NOTE: Rust-Oleum Stops Rust line of oil-based paints could be applied to fiberglass for use above the waterline only. Because your slide may be constantly exposed to water, I would still recommend Marine Topside for your slide.

Posted 2012-05-15T12:47:27+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

We need to paint our fiberglass pool water slide, existing color –light  aqua.

question 1:  Is it possible to mix  RUST-OLEUM MARIN COATING TOPSIDE paint?

question 2:  How can I get aqua color by mixing  white, blue and green RUST-OLEUM MARIN COATING TOPSIDE paint?

question 3:  How can I get light  blue color if I mix white and blue RUST-OLEUM MARIN COATING TOPSIDE paint?

question 4:  What other paint can you recommed to paint fiberglass pool water slide?

Posted 2012-05-03T20:28:24+0000  by lgromova

Our friends at Rust-Oleum have a great solution for your project and you can order online at www.HomeDepot.com

Click this link for their specification page and you will notice that it comes in a Gloss Oyster White (and other sheens and colors) and is intended for use on fiberglass. Buff sand to remove the imperfections on your slide and then follow the application instructions on the label ... your slide will be ready for use soon and should look great for many seasons to come.

MarinePnt.jpg

Posted 2011-07-28T15:06:17+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+