Lawn & Garden

Ficus tree Houseplant

Image result for ficus home depot

Ficus benjamina, Weeping fig, Ficus tree

Size: 4 to 10 feet

Light Exposure: bright indirect

Soil: well drained Miracle Gro Potting Mix

Watering: only water once the top of the soil feels dry

Feeding: Fertilize monthly in spring and summer and every 2 months in fall and winter
Miracle Grow Indoor Plant Food

Ideal Temperature: 65° to 75°F

Safe for pets: no

I remember seeing this tree growing outside of the room at a resort in Jamaica. It had to have been over 60 feet tall. Grown inside, its height will be dictated by the size pot it is in. I had this tree and I had a cat that used it as a scratching post for its whole life. This trees leaves will in small quantities, will upset the stomach of cats and dogs but in large quanities, it can be potentially fatal.

This plant is very common and is rather easy to take care if you know what it needs. This plant loves high humidity, so fill its tray full of pebbles and put water in it. Be sure that the pot is sitting on the gravel but the water level is below the bottom of the pot, as to not be sitting in the water. Put your ficus tree in front of a bright south facing window. In winter scoot the tree back a foot, as this tree likes to stay warm. Misting the leaves periodically with a spray bottle will do this plant some good as well.

Do not move this tree around, as this can aggravate the tree and cause it to start dropping leaves.  You will need to spin it every month or two to keep it even, as it likes to reach for the sunlight. This tree is not a fast grower and may require being repotted yearly to avoid becoming too rootbound.

Find your closest local store

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2017-02-09T18:16:40+0000  by Ingar_HD_ATL Ingar_HD_ATL

Topic
Categories+