Sign In to join the community | Help

Fireproof wall divider

I'm looking to divide a kitchen from a living room area. The only way of doing that right now would be to put up some sort of wall up against the side of a stove in order to separate rooms. However, I don't know what kind of material I could put up that would be capable of withstanding heat from a stove/oven. I briefly considered a sort of plexiglass material but I'm not quite sure which would work best and be cost effective. Any ideas? Thanks
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2017-11-14T19:55:53+0000  by Pat2465 Pat2465

Hello Pat2464 and welcome to the Community.


The type of stove you are using will determine what type of materials you should use to build your room divider and how close it can be.  Contact the stove manufacture for those specifications.  You can also inquire with your local building department as to what guidelines they stipulate for your application.


Standard cooking stoves have insulation that help keep much of the heat inside the oven.  That being said, you could build a stud wall that is covered with 5/8” thick fire rated type x Gypsum drywall. To get an explanation of what Fire Rated Gypsum means, click on this LINK to Web site of CertainTeed, a manufacturer of gypsum drywall. 


Additionally, you could fill the voids between the studs with a product like Roxul fire resistant stone wool insulation.


Again, check your local building codes.


Thank you for your inquiry.



Posted 2017-11-16T14:22:00+0000  by Char_HD_CHI
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question