Sign In to join the community | Help
Bath & Faucets

Fitting a standard vanity top

Hi All!

I'm looking at replace a vanity with a HD standard 48" vanity and a 49" granite top--only problem is that the current vanity/top are 52.5" wide. This vanity has no free edge--rather it fits between 2 walls.

I know I can use matching trim pieces to cover the gaps on each side of the cabinet but what is the best solution for the granite top? It will be 1.75 inches short on each side.

Any help would be terrific and will save an a lot of $$$ if I can stick to the standard vanity/top!

Sandro.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2012-04-17T21:25:28+0000  by sandrogrima sandrogrima

Hello Sandrogrima,

Let me be the first one to welcome you to the community.

This should be a pretty easy modification. Here are a couple of ideas that would make a stock vanity work in your situation.

Add a 1.75” thick piece of wood to both sides and then install a granite sidesplash to that. You can use a router to put a decorative edge on the outer corner or just round it over to soften it.  

Than either stain it to match the vanity or paint it to match the wall. I would think since you’re going to have to add filler pieces to both sides of the vanity also that it would look better to just stain it to match the vanity. That way everything will match.

Sidesplash modification.jpg

The other idea that I had was to build out the wall on both sides. You could use a 2” x 4” flat against the wall and then sheet it with ¼” drywall to get to the 1.75” that you need. I think it would look nice if you use a bullnose corner bead all the way around. The added wall could go floor to ceiling or just slightly larger than the vanity depth and height. If your walls are textured you could use a spray texture so that it would match. I think this option would really make it look like it was a custom fit vanity and not an afterthought.

Or you could use ¼” Hardy Backer board instead of drywall and then lay tile for both the sidesplashes and backslash. We do carry granite tiles that you could get to match or accent your new granite vanity top.

Both of these modifications would be inexpensive to do so just figure out which one would work out best for your situation and take a trip to your local Home Depot for the supplies.

Let me know if you have any other questions. I would love to help.

Posted 2012-04-18T16:45:10+0000  by Christine_HD_OC

wow, very cool ideas! Thanks so much!

Posted 2012-04-19T00:39:28+0000  by sandrogrima

Your welcome sandrogrima.

Once you get your new vanity / top installed take a couple of pictures and post them here on the community so that we can all admire your hard work. :smileyvery-happy:

I can't wait to see how you modify the opening in order to get a stock vanity to fit. I can't tell you how many times I've been asked that same question while working in the plumbing department.  

Let me know if you have any other questions. I would love to help.    

Posted 2012-04-20T15:26:25+0000  by Christine_HD_OC

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+