Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

Fixing a Paint Patch on drywall

Any suggestions about fixing patch work paint?  I painted a room 3 wks ago with a roller -- yesterday I did some patch work with a brush on sections that did not take too well on the dry wall.  Last night into today it looks like patches are on it.  Is it too soon for me to judge, will it dry even or should I do something to adjust it?  It's only noticeable on an angle not straight on looking at the wall.  Thank you.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-04-22T12:15:48+0000  by susanford susanford

Hello Susanford!

My name is Christine and I work in the paint department at Home Depot.

I'm sorry your wall looks splotchy after doing some touch up. :(

There can be a few reasons this could have happened. My initial thought was that the paint was applied too heavy. Painting with a roller gives a thin, even coat of paint on the wall. However, a brush is not as consistent. Using a brush will make your paint go on thicker than rolling it. Ideally, when you brush a small section of the wall, you are going to want to make sure the brush it dry and that the brush isn't saturated with paint. As you are painting, you should make sure to "feather" the paint to ensure that it blends in with the rest of the wall. If the paint was applied too thick, lightly sand the areas and repaint again. Blending the paint with a roller is easier for many people. We sell a little 4" roller that may work better for you.  

You said that the paint had a hard time taking in those areas, which was the reason for the touch up, correct? Before you started painting, did you have to fill in some nail holes in these areas? If you did, you may be experiencing "flashing." This will make it look like there are two different sheens on the same wall. In order to fix this, you will have to prime only those areas where the flashing is occurring. You should apply a premium (thick) primer. After the primer has dried, roll on the paint.

If you have any more questions, please let us know!

Christine :)   

Posted 2013-04-22T18:38:53+0000  by Christine_HD_ATL

Susanford,

A wall which has been painted with a roller should never be touched up with a brush using brushing strokes. At best, if you touchup with a brush, use dabbing strokes. A brushed stroke catches the light differently than the dipple left by a rolling brush.

If the spots to be touched up are small, I like to take a roller cover in my hand and dab the bare spot, or give it a rolling motion with my hand. If the areas are larger, you might have to actually roll the area..

In any event, whenever patching, "less is more". Do the absolute minimum to cover that which is drawing your eye to the spot. The bigger the patch, the more noticeable.

The only way to be absolutely positive the patch will be invisible is to spot prime the patch, let it dry, and then paint the entire wall, corner to corner.

When touching up spackled patches, you risk "flashing". Flashing , or a flat sheen appearance, occures because the new spackle is less well sealed than the surrounding wall area. You can spot prime and then paint. However, once again the only 100% system for leaving constant sheen, is to repaint the whole wall, corner to corner, after having spot primed the patched areas.

Hope this has helped.

Posted 2013-04-22T19:37:00+0000  by ordjen

Thanks for the tips!  Basically everything that was mentioned is what happened.  The good news is I repainted three of my walls with a full second coat with the roller the other day and now it looks great.  I guess it just needed a seond coat anyway since I was painting light over dark.  The color looks great.  I have to finish the last wall, but I need to buy more paint.  I will keep all of these suggestions in mind as I go on to the next rooms.  Thank you.

Posted 2013-04-24T21:06:18+0000  by susanford

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+