Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

Fixing roller marks/uneven paint before putting on 2nd coat

Am using Behr "puddle" primer/paint (eggshell enamel) on dining room walls. 1st coat resulted in a mess! Heavy roller marks, streaks, uneven paint. Started 2nd coat on smaller wall using techniques about fixing problems, and they got worse. I have painted before and have never had this bad of a problem. Please help!
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2012-02-04T18:19:31+0000  by Bwc Bwc

Bwc,

Sorry to hear you are having problems. I have been using the Behr Ultra Eggshell for a couple years and have had no problems.

Are you saying that you are leaving heavy physical roller texture or are you saying that the coverage is such that it looks uneven? Are you using a very strong, deep color mixed from a "deep base" paint? How long are you  letting the paint dry before re-coating? What type of roller cover and what length of nap are you using?

There are a lot of factors that can affect results. Without seeing your walls, it is hard to tell what is going on.

Posted 2012-02-05T06:09:33+0000  by ordjen

There are definitely a lot of factors that can contribute to such an experience with painting.  Here are some of the top causes:

• Painting over a slick/shiny surface.
  • Painting in high humidity.
  • Painting with a very dark color.
  • Using too large of a roller nap like 3/4 inch.
  • Applying too much paint.
  • Applying a second coat too soon after the first coat.

I know that this is frustrating to say the least - but here are a couple of ways to "fix" the problem for now:

• let that first coat dry overnight.
  • Lightly sand any raised areas where the paint might have collected.
  • Use a 3/8 inch top quality roller nap.
  • Brush and paint one wall at a time (corner to corner).
  • Finish the wall with a final light roll over the top of the still wet paint - from top to bottom and left-to-right.

Behr paint was designed to not "spatter" when rolling - so it is usually a little thicker than other paints.  This will sometimes be the reason why it collects and runs.  Knowing this will help in future applications and you should not have as many unpleasant experiences with the process.

Hope this helps.

Posted 2012-02-05T16:43:33+0000  by Kevin_HD_ATL
Thanks for the replies. I am using a 3/8" roller. In a dry climate. Probably am using too much paint and it is a dark color. The room is 14' x 14'. By the time I finish the end of one wall, the area where I started is almost dry and "gummy" when I try to smooth out from top to bottom. In fact that's where the worst roller marks are. The walls have been drying for days now, and ready to paint. The walls are almost rough (can see rough parts) and smooth. Should I sand the rough parts? Thanks
Posted 2012-02-05T17:47:16+0000  by Bwc

What I have found with the ultra is that if I get too far ahead and then go back into it - then I get those "gum" spots as well.  I haven't found a viable solution yet that fixes the situation yet.  Painting small sections (like 5 foot wide) will sometimes help. Another possibiblity would be to add Floretrol to the paint (an extender). 

I will make it a point to contact Behr on Monday and make them aware of this and see if they have any suggestions.

Sand those heavy areas with a #100 - #200 grit sandpaper before painting.

Good luck!:smileywink:

Posted 2012-02-05T19:26:44+0000  by Kevin_HD_ATL
It would be great if you could talk to Behr. It's the only interior paint i use, and have never had a problem. Did the suggestions on a small wall about an hour ago. It so gummy after about 5 minutes, there was no way I could do a light roll at the end.
Posted 2012-02-06T00:18:43+0000  by Bwc

Bwc,

Are you saying that you are going back after several minutes and trying to re-roll the area in an effort to smooth it? If so, this a definite no-no. The goal in painting is to put on a generous , even coat while keeping a wet edge. You NEVER want to roll back into an area which has begun to set. Acrylic paints set very rapidly, especially on walls which are not well sealed. If you roll back into the paint after it has begun setting, you will raise  roller marks and textures that will not go away! It is also for this reason that I discourage the practice of cutting in the edges first and then going back to roll the wall area. The edges are often partially set and you will pull up a texture which will no longer be able to level itself. This rough textured edge looks especially terrible on dark, glossy paints. The proper meathod of painting is to do your cutting in and rolling simnultaneously as you work your way down the wall. I know that there are "painters" that do not do this, but they are categorically wrong!

My technique is as follows: I normally am working off a 3 foot painters ladder with the tray hung on the top step. As I am right handed, I prefer to work down the wall to my right. I will cut in the ceiling line from the ladder for about 3 feet. I will then roll horizontally tightly to the ceiling, so as to leave an even roller texture. After moving my ladder a little to the right,  I will then fill my roller and take a long roll from close to the ceiling , down to the baseboard, which I have taped. I have already brushed to the tape so that I can roll right down to the tape, leaving a uniform roller texture. I re-fill my roller and move the width of the roller to the right and then roll back to the left, in effect , re-rolling the area from the previous roller strip. I am moving to the right, but always re-rolling the area back to the left. Any re-rolling is done IMMEDIATELY, not several minutes later. Every inch of the wall will have been re-rolled at least twice immediately. This allows the paint time to level itself undisturbed. If this technique is followed, there should be no ridges of paint off the edge of the roller and no undue texture, as it has been properly rolled out immediately and evenly.

Due to the strong color you are using, you might be putting the paint on too heavily in an attempt to achieve better coverage. Some colors just demand two or more coats. Putting the paint on too heavily invites sagging and /or undue texture. Better thinner, more even coats than a too heavy coat.

Posted 2012-02-06T07:10:36+0000  by ordjen
No, I'm not going over it after a few minutes. These marks are showing up as I am rolling paint on. I have cut it, and have used both the cut small area and then paint, and the cut in the entire wall then paint. I have used both the "w" and straight rolling and get the same marks. The wall is plastered dry wall about a month old. Using dove 3/8" nap roller. Sanding out the marks has helped, but get new marks when repainting the area. Any other suggestions would be great, this is just frustrating.
Posted 2012-02-06T20:24:05+0000  by Bwc

Hi, BWC.

I'm really sorry to hear you've had so many issues with the product/application, but I'm glad you took the time to reach out to us so we can help you resolve it.

I read over your details, but I'd appreciate it if you could just send me an email with your contact info, store location you purchased it at, if you have a receipt & if you would like us to get Behr on the line with you (as you mentioned) or perhaps speak with the store manager about working out a resolution at the store level.

My email address is: Nicki_Care@homedepot.com.

Thank you again, look forward to speaking with you.

Thanks for all your help, PaintPro!

Posted 2012-02-06T22:43:48+0000  by THDCustomerCare

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+