Sign In to join the community | Help
Flooring

Fixing up some wood floors

My house has really old, unfinished, bare wood floors that feel like they're never clean. What can I do to fix them up and make them nice and shiny and easier to clean? I've seen things about using varnish and some other products but I honestly have no idea where to even start with this.
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2019-03-19T02:41:18+0000  by lizrager lizrager

Typically an unfinished wood floor would be sanded, stained, and then topcoated.  That also involves removing the baseboard trim so the floor can be finished close to the walls.  If you have no idea where to start I might suggest that you don't have the necessary skills to do a good job and you would likely be better off hiring a professional.

If you would like to make it a DIY project, I would suggest doing a lot of reading on finishing floors.  Start in a bedroom or some other room that's less public so that if you do make any mistakes it's not in your living room.
Posted 2019-03-19T11:55:04+0000  by Adam444

Hello lizrage and welcome to the community.

To determine if this is a DIY project or a professional job, I would like you to view the following videos.  Just click on the orange to view.

Video #1          Video #2     Video #3

Now open up the LINK that shows the different types of floor sanding and polishing equipment that are available at your local Home Depot Tool Rental.  Click on the photo of any of the tools and select the video box to get detailed information about how to use each tool.  Below is an example of what a video selection box looks like.

After the floors have been sanded, it is important that you clean up all the residual dust so it does not contaminate the floor’s finish during applications.  This includes windowsills overhead fans, door and window moldings.  Using a vacuum instead of a broom will be more effective.

Next, you will decide if you want to STAIN the floor before applying the protective top coat, which is usually a polyurethane.

Always wear dust masks and protective eyewear and clothing.

I would love to see before and after photos.  Thanks for your inquiry.

Charlotte

Posted 2019-03-19T16:39:02+0000  by Char_HD_CHI

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+