Sign In to join the community | Help
Plumbing

Flange Replaced But Toilet Still Leaks!

My toilet was leaking through the downstairs.  I called a plumber and they replaced the toilet flange, wax ring, and the inners of the toilet.  It worked fine for a little while, but now the toilet is leaking again!  What else could it be?
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2016-12-31T00:39:16+0000  by Ash1990 Ash1990

The obvious other problem could be a leak in the pipe itself but since the issue went away when the repair was made that doesn't seem likely.  The usual culprit in these kinds of situations is the position of flange itself.  The flange should sit on the finished floor.

What often happens is that new flooring is added over the old flooring and the flange falls below the surface of the floor which can lead to leaks.  The way to deal with this is to use a thicker wax ring and/or spacers to fill the gap.  It's also important the the flange be secured with screws into the fubfloor so it can't move.  A problem can also occur if the flange is too high, making the toilet rock (which eventually leads to leaks as well).

Since you had the flange replaced, one would assume that the plumber placed the new flange at the correct height.  Did he actually replace the flange or use some kind of repair kit?

If this has been a relatively short period of time, I would think that any reputable plumber would stand behind his work and get this fixed for you.
Posted 2016-12-31T12:39:53+0000  by Adam444

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+