Sign In to join the community | Help
Building Materials

Floating Bed Illusion

I want to make a platform bed that really looksl ike it is floating.  I was thinking of using one center post and then building out from there.  I would keep it from tipping by attaching it to studs in the wall that it is next to.  However, I am concerned with how big that center support would need to be.  I want it to be as small as possible but am concerned about wood bending over time.  I have searched for hours online looking for a plan that matches my idea but have had no luck.  So... I'm going to just make it.  I don't know how to figure out the maximum distance I can push the wood from a support location though.  Any help or ideas would be tremendously appreciated.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-07-05T03:01:33+0000  by jbruse00 jbruse00

The main thing to consider is how strong the base support needs to be.  I would spend most of my time making a solid platform base that is framed out with strong connections.  *See Simpson Tie type connectors.   

Simpson Strong-Tie 5 in. L-Angle

Use a solid 3/4 inch plywood for the mattress base.

Consider building a strong floor base and then installing "support arms" on each side to hold up the mattress base.

Bed.jpg

Here is also a link to a post done by one of our experts - similar to yours:  

http://community.homedepot.com/t5/Lumber-Composites-Moulding/how-to-build-a-platform-bed-frame/m-p/318#M178

Posted 2013-07-07T17:25:08+0000  by Kevin_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+