Sign In to join the community | Help
Flooring

Floor Preparation - Allure Plank

We are completely remodeling a 1985 beach condo with a plywood subfloor.  We purchased Home Depot's beautiful Allure Plank to install in the entire condo (including kitchen & baths).  We removed the carpet & tile and there are uneven places in the subfloor, in addition to some water damage to the subfloor (currently dry).  Also, some of the sheets of plywood are screwed in and others are stapled in.  The staples are not level with the flooring and we are concerned that this might damage the floating vinyl flooring.  It appears that this flooring will be very easy to install (part of the reason we purchased it), but we want it to last & want to be sure that we prepare the floor properly. Unfortunately, there aren't any instructions with this flooring regarding floor prep.  Can you please give us some recommendations to ensure that the end result is not only beautiful but durable.  Thank you!

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-03-01T02:04:00+0000  by pb.ax42 pb.ax42

Hey there akozak84,

Thanks for joining our community!~

Indeed it does. As you may have read in an earlier posting or in your instruction manual, this product does have to acclimate to your rooms temperature for 48 hours prior to installation. In case you were missing your instruction manual, I will paste an excerpt from it here: 

Allure must be acclimated in the room of installation for a minimum of 48 hours with the temperature between 65-85F (18-30C) before, during and after installation. The buildings HVAC should be turned on for at least two weeks before installation. Product should be stored in a dry area and stacked no more than 3 high with at least 4” of airflow around the cartons. Do not leave next to heat or cooling ducts. Leave the planks inside the cartons to insure the Grip Strip remains clean. Keep dust, dirt and foreign particles from contaminating the Grip Strip.Following these steps is CRITICAL for adhesive performance during installation! Failure to follow these guidelines will void the warranty.
Posted 2013-02-01T15:20:20+0000  by Jay_HD_CHI

Does this product really need to sit for 48 hours before installation?

Posted 2013-02-01T03:46:59+0000  by akozak84

Hi Mike,

I think  as long as you pick the floating type of flooring you'll be fine. I’d be hesitant to any type of product that would require fastening to the subfloor.

Structures that are placed on the block foundations over the crawlspaces tend to "work” more than on slab structures. And obviously, any changes to the subfloor will reflect to the flooring as well.

At the end of the day I think my choice would be Allure.

However, I definitely would make some crawlspace improvements prior to installation.

Vapor barrier - I would recommend placing 6 mill + plastic sheeting over the crawlspace floor(dirt?) to minimize the vapors driven up from the soil bellow. During humid months Allure will act as a vapor barrier itself, any vapor driven up, would stop in between the wood subfloor and the flooring.

With the space being conditioned, in the summer months, this could possibly result in moisture accumulation on the underside (dew point) of the flooring itself.

Hope this helps and please do not hesitate to post back with any additional question you may have.

George

Posted 2013-01-29T20:44:13+0000  by George_HD_CHI

We are planning on putting this in our soon to be finished basement.  Question is, we only have foundation concrete as a a floor right now.  Can this be laid right over the top of that or should we put something inbetween the concrete and the laminate?  The basement is dry, with no water issues however it is still just a poured foundation, moslty level but rough in some places.  Thanks!

Posted 2013-01-29T19:18:44+0000  by leightsu

I have a 60 year old cabin on a lake.  Its build of wood on a block foundation with about a 2 foot craw a space over dirt.  There is no vapor barrier over it or on the wood floor about it. 

This is a single story cabin with plywood flooring over 70% and real particle board (small particles clued together, not strand or chip) over the other 30%. 

All flooring is well screwed downed and very secure. 

The bath room has new sheet vinyl in it and is that this flooring you recommend flooring will be resting up against at the bath doorway. 

The cabin is used in the summer only, in Southern Kentucky and almost never heated or used in the winter.  So I winterize it in the winter and turn everything off as well. 

I’m looking at around 650 sq. feet to cover the two bedrooms, Kitchen, and living room.  

I’m also working within a budget of under $2.00 a square foot if possible, but I really want the best recommend material to use.  

I want the real look of hardwood but not the work or cost.  

Thinking Laminate or Vinyl of some sort.  

Can you give me the pros and cons of each and recommend a underlayment if required.  

There are a lot of seams in the wood flooring with gaps so I was think if using thin vinyl I would have to fill them in with something. 

I guess I really want to know you recommendations on what material to use in the above situation. 

Thanks in advance, 

Mike Jager

Posted 2013-01-24T00:02:42+0000  by mjager

Hey JonathanTD,

Welcome to the community and thanks for your question!

Depending on how deep and how well you fastened the screws to the subfloor will determine how much the Allure (or the thicker Allure Ultra) will 'telegraph' or show the screw holes.

You are doing the right thing with countersinking them, and not just simply driving them in flush, which would lead to larger problems.

Over time, the thinner regular Allure may show or' telegraph', the holes. With the Allure Ultra, since it is much thicker, may not show as much.

However since you are at this step, it wouldn't hurt to place wood filler in those screw holes as well as seams. As long as you sand down the excessive amounts of filler, any new flooring you put down shouldn't be a major issue.

I hope this has assisted you in your flooring preparation, and let us know if we can assist you further.

aboveaveragejoe

Posted 2013-01-19T20:10:29+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

I've read all the postings here and my question is not directly addressed here. 

I took out the tile in my bathroom.  I removed the old subfloor and am planning to cover the subfloor under the old subfloor with another subfloor.. 

I'm about to screw sown the floor.  A thought occured to me.  If I have a 100 screws in my floor...all countersunk below floor surface and then place this Allure flooring over that...do I have to fill in the dimples the screws make in the plywood.  If I don't am I going to see over time these shallow dimples from the screw heads?  How about the seam where two of my subfloor plywood have come together?  If they match up pretty good...but it's still a seam. 

Posted 2013-01-15T19:51:16+0000  by JonathanTD

Hey there telisha34,

Thanks for joining the community!~

The thin vapor barrier is the only type of underlayment you would use for Allure flooring, but it's mainly for foundation concrete.

I would take some time to first prep your existing subfloor. It doesn't sound like you'll have an even base to put your flooring on with the old glue and laminate stuck on there. I would remove this first before proceeding.

Aside from that, you cannot but 2-in-1 underlayment underneath this type of flooring. Doing so will cause the installation to fail and you'll actually end up voiding your warranty as well. = (

Hopefully this helps answer your question. If you have any other ?'s, feel free to reply back!~ = )

Posted 2012-07-26T14:32:44+0000  by Jay_HD_CHI

Do you need to lay down a thin layer of plastic for moisture control? I'm on the 2nd level condo with concrete subfloor. Part of the floor is concrete with old glue and the rest has the paper layer of laminate stuck on top the concrete. It seems pretty smooth but how can you tell? Should I lay down a thin layer of UNISON™ 2-IN-1
UNDERLAYMENT?

Posted 2012-07-25T20:41:40+0000  by telisha34

Hey there cmarroletti,

HD116 has posted up a response to you in your other topic in case you haven't had the chance to check it out yet.

I'll link you over to it -> here!

Posted 2011-08-11T13:30:53+0000  by Jay_HD_CHI
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+