Sign In to join the community | Help

Floor Preparation - Allure Plank

We are completely remodeling a 1985 beach condo with a plywood subfloor.  We purchased Home Depot's beautiful Allure Plank to install in the entire condo (including kitchen & baths).  We removed the carpet & tile and there are uneven places in the subfloor, in addition to some water damage to the subfloor (currently dry).  Also, some of the sheets of plywood are screwed in and others are stapled in.  The staples are not level with the flooring and we are concerned that this might damage the floating vinyl flooring.  It appears that this flooring will be very easy to install (part of the reason we purchased it), but we want it to last & want to be sure that we prepare the floor properly. Unfortunately, there aren't any instructions with this flooring regarding floor prep.  Can you please give us some recommendations to ensure that the end result is not only beautiful but durable.  Thank you!

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-03-01T02:04:00+0000  by pb.ax42 pb.ax42

Read all the steps before you start installing, as the instructions are not listed in start to finish order

Allure flooring can be applied over any smooth, level surface. Do not install this flooring over a surface that is very bumpy. The planks are very stiff, when you walk on them, they could flex, and over time, a corner could pop up.
If you place this flooring over a rough bumpy surface, you will be able to feel the roughness, as you walk over the flooring.

I would say you need to knock the staples down and smooth any rough surfaces or pour some sort of self leveling texture over it to smooth out ,or repaire any bad spots

hope this helps

Posted 2011-03-01T15:15:09+0000  by Doc1

Greetings pb and welcome to the community!

Congrats on your new flooring and thank you for choosing Home Depot.

Floor preparation is crucial when it comes to any floor covering product but in my opinion especially with vinyl tile. The finish appearance of any vinyl flooring will be determined in part by the subfloor over which it is installed.

When it comes to floor prep Allure is definitely more forgiving than most other vinyl tile floor covering products but only to some extent. Any embossing that is greater than 1/8” and it is protruding floor surface could possibly reflect on the flooring afterwards.

So let’s talk about your floor and the work than needs to be done to get the most out of this product.

Floor prep, in order to successfully prepare plywood subfloor you would need to have couple essential hand tools handy and a belt sander as well.

Your first step would be to inspect the above mentioned water damaged areas and replace any rotten plywood.

Second drive all of the fasteners back in to the subfloor and fasten any loose plywood to the floor structure.

There are two terms that are commonly used in flooring trade; leveled and flat.

Leveled floor is a surface that is in the horizontal plane of the horizon, while flat is the surface that is having no part higher than another.

I haven’t seen perfectly leveled subfloor yet so don’t worry about the floor being perfectly leveled.

There is really no acceptable level tolerance for vinyl tile and as long you floor levelness it is not visually noticeable you are fine.

Surface being flat is what matters with vinyl tile installation and there are couple things you can do to achieve flat surface.

First place a long 8’ level over the subfloor floor and mark any spots that are lower than ¼”.Also sand the high spots with a belt sander, use 80-100 grit belts.

floor patch.jpgjif set patch.jpg

Second using a floor patching compound patch the lower areas, if there is a large section that needs to be flattened use a self leveling compound.

Condition the allure prior to installation at room temperature of at least 65 degrees F for 24-48 hours.

When installing Allure make sure to keep dust, dirt and foreign particles away also measure the wall that you are starting from and make sure it is square with opposite wall. Simply measure the room from opposite ends of the

wall to the far wall and adjust the difference if any on your first row.

Further leave 1/8” expansion and contraction gap around the perimeter of the walls for the subfloor movement.

And finally I strongly recommend using a floor roller at the end of the installation for the best results.

Hope that helps and again welcome to the community.

Posted 2011-03-01T16:10:31+0000  by George_HD_CHI

We also just purchased the allure vinyl planks.  WE have plywood under the existing carpet which we plan to remove a few days before installation.  Our house is not squared.  It was built in 1956 and on an angeled lot and so the house is also angeled.  Besides that should we use any materials below the vinyl planks? e.g. the "foam" used in floating engineered wood floors?

Posted 2011-03-13T03:14:31+0000  by gailobrien1103

Hi gailobrien1103,

Thank you for question regarding Allure Plank flooring, and welcome to the community!

Congrats on your purchase, I work in the flooring department at my store, and I've gotten to know how easy this product is to install and upkeep.

The "foam" underlayment you were referring to that goes on floating wood/laminate floors are made just for those systems. Since they have a wood/wood-based substrate, they need an underlayment. 

In your case, Allure is a vinyl based substrate, which means it can bend and flex on its own WITHOUT underlayment of any kind! You still need to remember though, it is a floating system, so putting down mouldings on where the floor butts up to the wall and leaving about a 1/8" or 1/4" gap for your planks to 'breathe' against the wall is crucial in installing Allure.

As for anything else underneath, as long as you have a nicely leveled subfloor, you are good to go with putting down your new floor!

Thanks, and have a great day!

Posted 2011-03-14T15:52:08+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL
Thanks. This really helps and should take me a day to complete.
Posted 2011-03-20T20:27:49+0000  by gailobrien1103

We are having Allure installed in our 2nd story condo that has a concrete floor.  Should we have anything (like roofing felt) put between the concrete and Allure to make it quieter for our downstairs neighbor?

Posted 2011-03-22T03:59:48+0000  by DeedsFL

Hey DeedsFL,

Thanks for your question and welcome to the community.

Allure is a great product for areas like your condo that has a concrete subfloor.

Since Allure (and our new Allure Ultra) are vinyl based and coupled with the fact that you have concrete floors, the sound will not transfer so your neighbor will get an earfull of clicking and clacking. Vinyl is a softer and less dense substrate than wood, and the Allure will be thinner than any wood/laminate based product so you'll get very little noise out of it. Also, since the Allure system floats onto the subfloor and not on it itself, it deadens a lot of noise and putting anything in between like roofing felt of foam underlayment can jeopardize the integrity and strength of the Grip Strip adhesives on the regular Allure to possibly give way.

Most of the times people have noisy floor neighbors due to laminate plank flooring, wooden flooring along with wood subfloors and rafters, and it sounds like this isn't the case here.

I did a post previously on our new Allure Ultra line of resilient flooring, if ya'll haven't purchased it yet, take a look at this link

You purchased one of the quietest hard surface floors out there, so you won't be that noisy neighbor for them underneath, or beside you!

Hope this helps you out,

Posted 2011-03-25T15:13:59+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

I hired a subcontractor to install my Allure flooring.  I saw them removing staples from where the carpet padding was, but the floor is bumpy and lumpy and has obvious dips and rises in it.  

Since this flooring isn't glued to the existing floor, can it be pulled up for these places to be fixed?  

Posted 2011-04-09T14:57:53+0000  by mgreen1260

Hey there mgreen1260,

Thanks for your question and welcome to the community!

My name is Joseph and I work in the flooring department at my Home Depot here in Atlanta.

You CAN pull the bad planks of Allure flooring that the subcontractor may have missed on your subfloor. If they are near a corner or edge of the room, first take any base moulding that is keeping the Allure planks down and then simple peel up the planks on their Grip Strip edges to see where the lumps and bumps are in the flooring below. If they are at the center of the room, its possible to take those planks off but its really easier to take them off by the edges first and then working your way in. Now while you can simply reattach the planks down again, I would recommend ordering what is in the picture below:

allure tape.JPG

Since the integrity of the Grip Strip may be comprimised by taking up the planks, this tape will refresh the Grip Strip, allowing for a tight and secure install again. This product is the solution for your planks after getting what was underneath them, but this item is only available through special order. Check with your local Home Depot flooring department, and it is ordered by using the SKU number 257-330 part number: AL66700. The roll does around 25 planks, so one roll should be enough for your repair project. Your local store can provide you lead times and pricing in ordering.

After cleaning underneath the Allure, use the tape on the Grip Strip adhesive and simply reattach the other planks. Cover back the edges with your molding and you should have the level floor you have always wanted!

Hope this helps you out,

Posted 2011-04-09T20:32:39+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

I am installing allure laminate over ceramic tile in my foyer.  My contractor says that even though the floor is level, he needs to use 5 bags of self flooring leveler over the tile due to the grout lines.  This seems very excessive to me. Is this correct?

Posted 2011-08-10T00:37:49+0000  by cmarroletti
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question