Sign In to join the community | Help
Flooring

Flooring Help - 3 Season Unheated Sunroom in MA

Can I use TrafficMaster Allure Ultra Resilent Flooring to replace our old indoor-outdoor carpet in our 3 season, unheated,sunroom (Massachusetts)? If not, do you have any suggestions other than installing indoor- outdoor carpet? Given the room is unheated, is it more advisable to use a ceramic product? The carpet we want to replace is currently glued over spaced deck slats ( there is no subfloor ).  Any suggestions are appreciated! 
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2015-07-25T16:51:59+0000  by TVdan TVdan

Good afternoon TVdan,

Thanks for your question and welcome to the community!

As much as I personally like TrafficMaster Allure Ultra in a home, this particular room you want to install it in wouldn't hold up due to it not being climate controlled nor a solid subfloor. Even if you installed it, the warranty on it would most likely be voided on it and it would fail within a short amount of time.

Your best bet for a floor that will last is to build a solid foundation on top of the deck slats. This is to help eliminate any drafts, but more importantly, to give the new floor a solid base once the installation is finished.

This could include installing  outdoor-rated plywood to even tile backerboard, which the latter would really be needed if you decide to install tile.

In terms of what flooring to use, just make sure that it is outdoor rated, since the room isn't climate controlled. DO NOT use ceramic tile, as it is not frost-proof and can easily crack in cold weather.

You can use porcelain or natural stone over a tile backerboard base as one flooring option. They are both durable and can hold up for a very long time with little maintenance. Any vinyl based materials wouldn't since it isn't climate controlled. 

If you would like me to go into more detail regarding a new floor, I can.

Hope to hear from you soon,

Joseph

Posted 2015-07-25T18:31:52+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+