Sign In to join the community | Help
Lawn & Garden

Flower Tower

Just downloaded the PDF for the flower tower. Step 6 talks about lag screws and mounting the brackets to your deck? Lag screws and brackets are not mentioned in the tools and materials lists. What's Step 6 about? Thanks, A Geyer

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-04-12T02:58:57+0000  by Lex2505 Lex2505
I made the flower tower exactly how the instructions said to, but now all the flowers are dying because water can't get to the roots. There were no instructions on how to get water to all the flowers. I am so disappointed, I thought the flower tower was a great idea! What do I do?
Posted 2013-04-20T15:28:23+0000  by Mmdaniel

Hey gmhawkins,

Thanks for your question and welcome to the community!

If you make the towers at the same size in the how-to instructions, you'll need about one 2.0 cubic foot bag of soil per tower. Since you are making two towers, go ahead and be conservative and buy 3 bags that are 2.0 cu. ft. to play it safe.

As for the flowers, depending on the type of flowers you choose will determine how many you need.

We had this exact question on the community earlier, and it was answered by our Garden Club Expert. It goes as follows:

erichardson2005 wrote:
it is online. I am trying to figure out how many flowers i need.... doesn't say!

The exact number of flowers you need will vary depending on the plants, pot and wire fencing you use. If you're worried about over or under-purchasing, just complete the project through Step 6 and count the number of + holes in your tower. Purchase that number of flowers and you will be good to go, but don't forget a few extra for the top!

I hope this has answered your question. And remember, you can always return what you don't need at your local Home Depot. Just keep your receipt just in case.

Regards,

Joseph

Posted 2013-04-20T16:58:11+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

Hello tranquility,

Thanks for your question and welcome to the community!

You can actually use almost any plant for your flower tower, as long as the plant and root system can fit into the 2 in. x 4 in. hole on the sides.

In fact, you can use various types of plants throughout the tower, and even use a larger type on the top to ensure you can get a one-of-a-kind flower tower!

I hope this has helped you out, and let us know if you have any addtional questions.

Joseph

Posted 2013-04-20T17:00:24+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

Hey Mmdaniel,

Thanks for joining us here on the community!

I'm sorry to hear about your flower tower woes :smileysad:

Were you making sure the top was watered effectively as well as the sides with a good watering can?

Doing this and making sure the soil in the tower gets water from the top is crucial to making sure the plants get the water they need.

You'll also need to make sure to read the plant's tag to ensure how much or little water they can receive. The key is making sure the soil is compact and watered frequently.

Keep us updated on your progress, I want to hear more from you.

Cheers,

Joseph

Posted 2013-04-20T17:08:51+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

In the original you made up for the promotion did you use wave petunias or regular petunias?

Posted 2013-04-20T19:18:47+0000  by beth65

I have not made up the Flower Tower yet, just gathering info. What is the difference between reg. & wave Petunias??

Posted 2013-04-20T20:42:59+0000  by tranquility

The difference between the regular petunias and the wave petunias are several subtle differences.

For example, the wave petunia has more ground cover than regular petunias, which means a larger root ball.

Since you'll be installing the flowers at every other opening instead of every hole in fence, this means there will be less competition from the other petunias.

Of course, that isn't to say you can plant both types in the same tower. At the end of the day, it really is your choice what you wish you place for your flower tower.

I hope this has assisted you, and best of luck with your tower!

Joseph

Posted 2013-04-20T22:00:35+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL
When I made the tower, I followed the directions completely. I put 1/3 of the soil in, then soaked it with water and used a hand shovel to work the water into the soil. Then followed with another 1/3 of soil, watered and then another 1/3. I have a "good watering can" and soaked the top as well as the sides of the tower. I used petunias, not sure what the "wave" petunia is, neither did the employees at my Home Depot. The flowers didn't even make it four days. I do want to try this project again but want some advice because obviously watering the sides of the tower is not getting the water to the roots of the flower.n
Posted 2013-04-21T00:19:09+0000  by Mmdaniel
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+