Sign In to join the community | Help
Lawn & Garden

Flowers for shade

We want to plant some flowers in our yard, but the spot where we want them gets more shade than sunlight.  What's the best flower that can thrive in that environment? We live in Atlanta and it will be very hot soon.  Is it too late to plant?  I hope not because we really want some pretty flowers to enjoy.

Thanks!

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-05-22T17:21:43+0000  by gigi_p gigi_p

Hey gigi_p.

I also live in Atlanta and I have a back yard that is nothing but shade and I am the authority when it comes to shade.

I have used several different types of hosta in my backyard, and even though they do not bloom so impressively they do have amazing foliage colors like blues, grey, gold, green and variegated and they come in all shapes and sizes. Hosta are a type of lily, therefore every few years you can divide them and make several more Hostas. Your Hosta garden would be your favorite part of the yard. I also use a perennial called Heuchera which also comes in different color leaves and has pretty flowers as well. Sometimes the foliage of a plant can be the thing that steals the show. These are perennial, so they would come back every year.

As for annuals there are many shade loving varieties and they include, Impatiens, Caladiums, Green Leaf Begonias, Coleus, Torenia, and Sweet Potato vine. Below I have attached some pictures of some of my favorites.

hosta2.jpgBlue Elegans Hosta with some variegated Hosta

hosta4.jpgGold Standard Hosta.

hosta3.jpgDon't know the name, but pretty hosta.

hosta heuchera.jpgPurple Heuchera with Hosta.

heuchera.jpgheuchera2.jpgHeuchera

begonia2.jpgbegonia.jpgGreen leaf Begonias

caladium2.jpgcaladium.jpgCaladiums

coleus 2.jpgcoleus.jpgColeusimpatiens.jpgimpatien2.jpgImpatiens

Find your closest local store

Other Related Articles:

7 Best Climbing Outdoor Vines

Need suggestions with your annual flower beds?

Easy Landscape Design Rules Used by the Experts

Plants That Grow Well in Shade

10 Water Loving Plants

Ingar's Top 10 Trees For a Landscape In The South

12 Ornamental Grasses for landscaping

17 Groundcovers for Sun and Shade

10 Brilliant Winter Flowering plants

Top 30 Perennials for Your Garden

46 Flowers and Plants That Will Upgrade Your Landscape

Drought Tolerant Plants That Are Not Cactus

Posted 2011-05-22T18:22:24+0000  by Ingar_HD_ATL

Wow - thank you so much for all of the details and pics! 

I love begonias and impatiens so maybe we'll do a combo of those with some of the hosta you mention.  Once we get them in the ground, how much watering at first and how often?  Also what kind of potting soil - does it matter?

Thanks again!

Posted 2011-05-22T20:08:06+0000  by gigi_p

Hello Gigi_p,

This is Christine and I'm also a Home Depot associate and I live in Atlanta too. :smileyhappy: Greengiant isn't in today, but not to worry, Christine is here! 

Right after you plant your plants, you should saturate the soil. According to the American Hostas Society hostas require an 1.5" of water a week, which works out to about 3/4" every 3-4 days. Impatients are the same way. According to the American Begonia Society begonias should generally  be watered 2 times a week. They don't like to have, what gardeners refer to as, wet feet.The hotter it becomes, the more water all of these will need. 

Greengiant did a wonderful post recently about how to prep your garden before you plant. Click here for the link. Make sure you pick up garden soil, as opposed to potting soil. Potting soil is meant to be used in pots and is not suitable for in ground planting. 

Happy Planting! 

Christine 

Posted 2011-05-25T13:34:13+0000  by Christine_HD_ATL

I have a shade garden also and started out with hosta, heuchera, ferns and clumping liriope. An oak tree provides the shade. My heuchera does not come back while all the other plants do. Heuchera grows in other shaded areas on the property. We water when it has been dry for a week.  Any suggestions why the heuchera won't act like a perennial. 

Posted 2011-05-27T02:08:13+0000  by CarolynDougall

Hey CarolynDougall.

Some cultivar of Heuchera prefer more sun and In colder climates they will demand more sun. Heuchera can survive  throughout the lower 48 states, some can survive in Miami and some can survive Detroit. I would think that the cultivar you have must not be the most cold hardy.

Posted 2011-05-29T15:29:03+0000  by Ingar_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+