Sign In to join the community | Help
Tools & Hardware

Folding Bench...

Living in an apartment with a patio, we like to spend time outside with friends and family around the grill or playing games. Depending on the number of people we have over, seating becomes an issue. I came across this idea for a folding bench awhile ago and recently took the time to do a bit of SketchUp design work to see if I could make something work for us.

Folding Bench

This is a picture of my SketchUp screen with the bench. The top part of the image shows how the bench looks upright (I've hidden one of the bench slats so you can see the hinges holding the legs and bracing). The bracing to the legs are secured by a thumb screw threaded into threaded inserts in the ends of the braces. To build something like this, you'll need to pick up a few items from THD. Some 2x6, 2x5, 5/4x6 deck boards, some 1/4x20x2-1/2 thumb screws, threaded inserts and six hinges (four for the legs and two for the bracing). A box of deck screws would be great for holding it all together.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2010-11-08T01:55:31+0000  by Paul Paul

Oops, time change has screwed me over, I'm tired and missed the typo... That should be 2x4 instead of a 2x5.

Posted 2010-11-08T01:57:51+0000  by Paul

Paul, that's a great design, and showing that you used Google's SketchUp software, helps other visualize what you are talking about. Great post! :smileyhappy:

Posted 2010-11-08T15:26:47+0000  by Angelo_HD_CHI

Great idea Paul. I love the way the legs fold into the body of the bench just by removing 2 thumb screws. I'm going to build a couple of these for my back patio. We have the same problem that you had mentioned. Never having enough seating.  Thanks for the great views from SketchUp they help a lot.

Posted 2010-11-10T17:13:57+0000  by Christine_HD_OC

If it works let me know, I just built a monster bench for my garage 4x8 3/4 inch top inlaid in 2x4s now everyone that sees it wants one till I tell them that their is over 200 bucks in just  wood  and its on 6 rolling casters, it weighs 500 lbs (I mite be lining on that a little) and I can push it around with 1 finger, really 1 finger, and it's loaded with wood on the bottom.. If you live near ST.Joe MI  *Personal Information Removed for Safety* I'll even turn you on to my man for casters (he's on red arrow hwy the place with the old B25 front landing gear on it) the sign says we have casters..

I have been wanting a bench that I can swing from the wall and pick up when I want!! First try didn't work out so well flipped the whole bench it was attached to same height as my table saw.. Now I have to build a new stand for that to 37 inches yes it's a little high but so am I, that didn't come out right, I wish I was I am to tall for regular benches and hate leaning over the dam things...

Posted 2010-11-19T22:55:39+0000  by juiceofChicago

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+