Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

Foundation

Do I have to use a certain type of paint on my foundation.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-06-13T03:19:12+0000  by otis otis

Otis,

Conventional acrylic housepaint works fine on exterior foundation walls. Treat  foundations like other surfaces: clean, get rid of mildew and algae with bleach solution, prime with an acrylic exterior primer and paint. Both  Glidden or Behr exterior paints will work fine on such masonry surfaces.

Hope this has helped

Posted 2013-06-13T06:17:42+0000  by ordjen

Great question Otis!

The Home Depot sells almost every product category with offerings that are "Good, Better, Best."

This is true of paints for foundations as well.

The everyday exterior paint, like Ordjen recommends, is one option.

Then you have Masonry, Stucco, and Brick paint which is self-priming and very reasonably priced.

And at the top of the list is Exterior Ultra; high-hide, self-priming, long-life paint with a bit higher price.

AT THIS WRITING:

Behr is a quality company that is always improving their products. At this writing Behr is introducing Marquee ... tagged to be exceptionally dirt resistant, fade-resistant, long-lasting, paint and primer that dries quickly. The price exceeds Ultra.

When I paint, my preference is for a self-priming product.

If it was my foundation, I'd choose Masonry, Stucco, and Brick paint as the best priced product or Exterior Ultra ... a slightly better product, but about twice the price.

I believe these two options are simple-to-use, quality products at a reasonable price.

Posted 2013-06-13T12:48:54+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Eight years ago when I moved into my house, which was 6 years old at the time, I painted the fibercement siding with a quality flat sheen acrylic house paint. The front elevation does have exposed cement foundation walls. Since the color was a tannish putty color, not unlike the natural cement color, I decided to run it right down on the small amount of foundation. Even without a primer, after eight years the foundation looks as good as new!

Sometimes there is a place for "good enough".  In the Mid-West deep basements are quite common. Customers would ask to have there foundation walls wihitened up just so it did not look like a dungeon down there. If there were no signs of water penetration or dampness in the basement, I elected to just use a good quality acrylic paint on the walls. Never had a problem!  It is amazing what a coat of paint and a little better lighting can do to a basement!

My first home had a deep basement and I treated the foundations walls as stated. I put in a drywall ceiling and recessed flourescent lighting. The resultant space was great for my then small kids to raise hell without doing damage.

Obviously, there are times when products such as Dry-Lok are advisable, but in a dry basement, a good quality acrylic paint is "good enough".

Posted 2013-06-13T16:29:54+0000  by ordjen

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+