Sign In to join the community | Help
Building Materials

Foundation corner cracks/pops

I have a brick home and the corners of my foundations have cracks. What’s the best product/strategy for sealing the cracks. Should I use epoxy, mortar or another product/strategy?
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2018-04-10T17:13:51+0000  by jcredo jcredo

Hello jcedo and welcome to the Community.

Corner popping or cracks are not usually structural and should not be of great concern unless the mortar or bricks above are affected.  So you are doing a concrete repair not a structural repair.

If the you are sealing the cracks you have a variety of products to choose from.

Sika Power set Gap Filler Ideal for re-pointing repair on masonry structures and for minor repairs to vertical and horizontal surfaces.

Quikrete 8.6 oz. Epoxy Concrete Repair is a specially designed repair product suitable for most concrete and masonry surfaces.  Repair is a non-sag formula so it is suitable to be applied in vertical applications.

Quikrete 1-4/5 lb. Concrete Repair Sealer is designed to prevent further damage to surfaces by sealing cracks from harmful water and ice.

Rapid Set Mortar Mix is a good choose if the corner has actually popped off and/or you see some cracking in the mortar or bricks above. This product is a high-strength quality mortar, a excellent choose for these applications.  It can be applied from 1\2 in. to 6 in. thick without layering.

When repairing the corner, Remove any lose pieces of old concrete from the corner and brush off any dirt and dust.  You are not going to re-attach the broken off piece but replace it with the Rapid Set Mortar.  Make sure you moisten the concrete surface before applying the new material.

One more item. If the broken places are very deep you might consider drilling some holes into the foundation and tapping in some short pieces of rebar. You don't want the rebar sticking out past where your final troweling of mix will be.

Thank you for your inquiry.

Charlotte

Posted 2018-04-12T18:14:46+0000  by Char_HD_CHI

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+