Sign In to join the community | Help
Build & Remodel

Four equal corners

Hey All,

How do you get the 4 corners of a 23X48 laminated pine board to all be 90 degrees?

When I place my 36" T-Square along the 48" side and square it to the 23" side there's at least a 1/4" discrepency. 

Peace,

ElementX

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-09-03T01:18:57+0000  by elementX elementX

Hi element,

Thank you for your question and welcome to our community.  There are a couple of ways that a variance can occur:

1. The board is warped
  2. The adjustable T-square is not square
  3. Yourtablesawisnotsquaredupbeforethecuthasbeenmade
  4. Thebladeonyourtablesawisnottrue DeWALT Table Saw

You will need to check all of these to determine where the problem is.  Once you have determined that all the above items are square, it is just a matter of making a square cut.  Practice on a scrap piece before you made your real cut, just to make sure that everything has been set up correctly.

Please let us know if you have any further questions.

Posted 2013-09-13T17:10:22+0000  by Rick_HD_OC

Hi Rick,

Thanks for your reply, however my issue is that the wood I purchased, the corners, weren't squared when I got it.

My 36 inch Aluminum T-Square is on the money, I have two, and so is my Framing Square; they all read the same, about 1/4 inch off.

I'm not sure how to begin / prepare the wood for the first cut so that all my corners will be at 90 degree angles.  I would think that by using my first 90 degree angle mark I could then base the other three on the first, is that correct?

Thanks again, I appreciate the help and advice.

Peace,

ElementX

Posted 2013-09-16T07:51:48+0000  by elementX

Hi elementX,

Thank you for the additional information. If you take equal measurements on each side from left to right then cut across that line, you should have a 90° angle.  If both ends had been miss cut then you could measure in with your square as far in as needed to get a straight edge on each end, providing you had some excess to work with.

I would have liked to have seen a video of your project and you finding a solving the miss-cut issue. I would imagine that many DIY’ers have run into this problem and I wonder how many did not have your keen eye and catch the error early on?

Have fun with your project and let us know if we can be of further assistance.

Posted 2013-09-17T16:40:22+0000  by Rick_HD_OC

Rick,

Again, thank you for your help.

I kind of thought that would be the correct appoarch but I thought I'd ask before I went ahead and made a costly mistake. 

I can certainly take pictures of my project and post them if you'd like but I must warn you, I'm no pro but rather a somewhat fearless attempter and most of what I do, work wise, is shooting from the hip.

Peace,

ElementX

Posted 2013-09-20T01:01:06+0000  by elementX

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+