Sign In to join the community | Help
Lawn & Garden

Friut trees not bearing fruit

I have 2 5 in one fruit trees I planted a few years ago can't remember exactly how many years ago but more than 5. Anyway one is a 5 in 1 pear, the other is a 5 in 1 peach. They blossom beautifully in the spring lots of blossoms, they look very healthy. I water them every other day in the summer for an hour all around the trees at the trunk and well outside the drip line with an irrigation system that also takes care of my lawn. The best I have gotten for fruit from the trees is the Pear made me one a year for the last 3 years small or deformed or both. The peach has never produced the first piece of fruit. My soil is sandy which is why I water so much, I have fertilized at least twice a year. I have them mulched half way out to the drip line.
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2016-01-13T19:22:22+0000  by Traveltrader Traveltrader

Greetings Traveltrader,

It certainly sounds like you are providing great care for your 5 in 1 fruit trees, and you have gone through a process of elimination as to what you think you can provide for the best practices for your fruit trees….but still no fruit!

Let me ask you a few things:

Do the trees have adequate air flow around them, do the roots have enough space to spread and reach out?

Do you spray late winter-early spring with fruit tree oil spray?

Do you use any pesticide spray during the flowering, how about your neighbor’s do they spray?

Do you see any bees or any other pollinators around your trees when they are in flower?

How is the bark of tree, intact… any sign of boring insects?

Did you add peat moss to the hole and soil at the time of planting?

What is your zip code? Has your region suffered, in the past few years, from late season frost?

Some fruiting trees do take 5-7 years to bear a successful harvest, so it could be a matter of maturity or pollination….Let’s sees if my Community garden team has any other questions for you so we can help you solve your fruit tree problem.  Maureen

Posted 2016-01-14T13:55:56+0000  by Maureen_HD_BOS
Hey Traveltrader.

I have written several articles on different soil types and the problems with each type. I have written articles on the 12 essential nutrients for plants as well. There is some good information in them if you want to give them a look.

What you are dealing with is simply that your sandy soil, which is already nutrient deficient, leaches nutrients out extremely quick. Amending your soil with peat moss gives your sandy soil a vessel what will hold moisture and hold nutrients in place longer.

Fertilizers like Miracle Gro have these micro-nutrients that are essential for sandy soils but they leach out of sandy soils in the matter of a week. Most other granule fertilizers only have Nitrogen, Phosphorus and Potassium in them. You will need to use a good slow release granular fertilizer with micro-nutrients. These granulars feed for 2 months, therefore put them down every 2 months in the warm growing season. Overwatering will leach nutrients out faster, therefore reduce your watering by half. Your tree should be established by now and this will help fertilizer last longer.

Posted 2016-01-14T15:12:51+0000  by Ingar_HD_ATL

Hi Traveltrader.

Welcome to our community and thank you for your great question.  

Ingar and Maureen have touched on some very important points regarding your fruit trees.  The one thing that I would add would be how you are watering the trees.  You stated that you water at the trunk of the trees and also have a drip line that is well beyond the drip line of the trees.  Your drip line for watering should be “on the drip line of the trees”, that area where the branches end, especially in sandy soil where the water has a tendency to sink straight down into the soil rather than spread out. 

The only time you need to water at the trunk of the tree is when it is a newly planted tree.  As the branches start to grow outward, the drip line of the tree will also expand outward to keep pace with the water and nutrient demands of the tree.

Image result for tree drip line home depot

To conserve water, you should mulch on the drip line as well.  Fertilizing should also be done on the drip line of the trees.  As Ingar stated, overwatering will wash all those nutrients out of the soil. Usually a good drench once a week-10 days on established fruit trees should be adequate unless the tree is loaded with fruit and the weather has been hot and dry.  Try these suggestions and see if you have a better crop of fruit this season. 

Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.

Rick_HD_OC

Posted 2016-01-15T18:33:53+0000  by Rick_HD_OC

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+