Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

FrogTape is back!!!

The Home Depot is amphibious again ... that is to say FrogTape has returned to our stores.

After a year and a half, this renewed introduction brings the two-inch FrogTape back at a reasonable price that is very palatable (a little culinary humor) to our DIY and Pro consumers.

FrogTape offers a very crisp straight line when painting trim, stripes, etc. I have personally tried this product and it does a great job saving you time…and ultimately money! I hate having to go back and retouch any project ... FrogTape makes your lines perfect the first time.

Another cool feature is that the timeline for removing FrogTape is 21-days after attachment. This means you can leave it on the wall for three weeks if your project timeline stretched or drying time for layers of faux treatment require several days in between treatments. This is a great benefit considering that everyday painter’s tape has a 14-day timeline.

The other difference is the edge sealing addition to the FrogTape adhesive which is activated by latex (water-based) paints. Check out the FrogTape demo by clicking here.

Watch Our How-To Video

What are your tips for creating clean lines while painting?

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2010-10-11T11:52:13+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL Pat_HD_ATL

Quite frankly, I don't see Frog tape top be any great improvement  over conventional
3M Painters Tape, not to Mention the Delicate Tape. Frog tape works well over smooth finishes, but works no better than Blue Tape when taping stripes or lines on textured walls. The instructions on the back of the case admit to that when they state that special techniques are necessary on textured surfaces, i.e. sealing the edge. The foaming sealant on Frog tape just can't seal the valleys of the texture.

As to needing 21 days on the surface, you are taking too many siestas!  :)  Frankly, the 3M 14 day figure is also very conservative.

Posted 2012-01-08T07:09:26+0000  by ordjen

I like working with FrogTape on smooth surfaces, and works excellent - but I agree with OrdJen - it does not work any better on textured surfaces; still get bleed through.  What I find works best on texxtured drywall or stucco is using conventional 3M 2020 Beige Masking tape, and then applying a coat of the other color you are masking along the tape line so it seals the tape, and any bleed through goes under. This method works great! Tried it several times when painting stucco and got a perfect line. When I took the tape off I saw the paint that bled through the tape since it was still fresh, but then once everything dried, it was a straight line! The paint does bleed through using this method, but since you paint along the tape with the color you are masking, any paint the bleed through goes through, but then it seals the tape, making a perfect crisp line when everything is dry and done. Make sure you take the tape off the same day, as it get extremely tacky with the sun since its high sdhesion tape. If you do not take it off the same day, you will find that it leaves residue from the tape glue, and it VERY difficult to get off.  I have tried using blue painter's tape and frogtape when working with textured surfaces, but i found that it simply does not stick well. So I have stayed with using the 3M Beige Masking tape.

Posted 2012-01-18T06:16:01+0000  by mgonzo

Mgonzo,

One caution when using regular masking tape on walls or woodwork:  About 40 years ago, when I started routinely using masking tape on baseboards, I discovered the hard way that it left a sticky residue on the surface. It was not noticable to the eye, but upon returning a year or two later to further service  regular customers, I discovered a gray border all along the top of the baseboards. The household airborn dirt was sticking to the tape residue. I fear you might find a gray shaded line appearing along your taped lines in months to come!

I now use 3-M Delicate or regular Painters Blue Tape when dropping lines on textured walls. I either seal them with the existing wall color or,  if that is no longer available, use "deep base" paint base to seal the edge. If the clear deep tint base  goes under the edge, it is not to be seen.

I will grant , that for whatever reason, blue tape occasionally does not stick to well. This sometimes happened on varnished baseboards. Perhaps it was old fashioned high wax content varnish - don't know. Then I had to resort to stickier masking tape or simply cut in  and wipe the edges.

Posted 2012-01-25T05:12:24+0000  by ordjen

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+