Sign In to join the community | Help
Electrical

GFCI Sub Panel

I am updating my circuit for an outdoor pool light.  The circuit has a 30 amp breaker at the main panel that feeds an outdoor sub panel with a 20 amp breaker for the pool pump and a 15 amp breaker that feeds the transformer for the pool light and the outdoor light.  The outdoor panel uses the old style breakers that do not come as GFCI.  My question is: if I replace the main 30 amp breaker with a GFCI breaker will it protect the circuit correctly?  If not, I guess I will have to replace the sub panel.  If required, any suggestions for parts to make the new sub panel would be appreciated.
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2015-03-24T16:33:21+0000  by KRANEY1 KRANEY1

Hello KRANEY1.  Welcome to the Community!

In short, yes.  Using a 30 amp GFCI breaker at the main will protect both of those downstream circuits. I assume that the neutral from the subpanel ties back to the main panel, regardless of any additional grounding requirements.  If the neutral at the subpanel is tied to ground, then you will have to provide GFCI protection at the subpanel, as the main breaker won't be able to compare power to neutral balance.

Chris.

Posted 2015-03-24T18:28:31+0000  by Chris_HD_CHI

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+