Sign In to join the community | Help
Install & Replace

GFCI question

Morning,

 

I installed a ground fault plug a couple of years ago and I tied it in to a plug that was on the other side of the same wall. It's been fine until last week. The hair dryer was plugged into the GFCI and a coffee maker was plugged into the plug on the opposite side, both were on and they went out. The GFCI wouldn't reset and my daughter said she heard a buzzing sound from the circuit breaker box (which is in her room), right before we lost power to those 2 plugs. Since then, no buzzing.

 

Nothing tripped in the box but the GFCI won't reset and now neither plug works. Just not sure what to replace here, the GFCI, both plugs, or is it something else? Something in the main box?

 

Thanks for any help.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-01-10T14:34:20+0000  by LAF LAF
 

Hi LAF,

 

Your problem sounds like a defective circuit breaker. Circuit breakers do wear out and I would guess this is the problem.

 

I would recommend calling an electrician to perform this repair, as pocking around in the main panel without knowledge of what you are doing can lead to a very deadly result.

 

Do it yourself repairs on electrical circuits can lead to shorts, overloaded circuits and fires.

 

In addition if you did have a fire after a do it yourself repair and the repair was not up to code many insurance companies will reduce or even deny a claim.

 

The electrician can test the circuits replace any defective components and assure all is working properly.

 

Mike,

Posted 2013-01-10T18:30:26+0000  by Mike_HD_OC

LAF,

 

HDAnswerman is right, it could be a bad breaker. But don't take the chance.

 

 Call the electrician.

 

  I had a hair dryer plugged into a GFCI receptacle that would not reset. When I pulled the receptacle out and inspected the wires that supplied that plug, they were both burned from the excessive heat inside the wire.

 

 The breaker did its job and prevented a fire in my house. I called a licensed electrician who corrected the problem.

 

 Hair dryers and coffee makers need to be on separate circuits.

 

 

 

LawnRanger

 

Posted 2013-01-15T14:31:20+0000  by Travis_HD_ATL

Hello, I had a similar issue. It don't think it was a GCFI socket. But we came home to find out that we had no power in our loft. The TV, ceiling fan, no power to anything. I checked the Circuit box, nothing was tripped. So I had no clue what was going on. After further inspection, I found that the socket that my son has his tablet charger plugged into had apparently overheated and sparked. One of the prongs on the charger had melted of and the socket it was plugged into had melted also. Just the top one where the charger was plugged into. Will replacing that outlet reset the circuit?

Posted 2013-01-21T01:59:53+0000  by golmyne03

Hello golmyne03,

 

Whenever things become "melted", it's time to call the electrician.

 

The power outages to the fan and other outlets are all clues to what is happening. When things melt, excessive heat is the cause and a house fire is a real possibility.

 

The charger could be the culprit, but if damage has been done to the house wiring, professional repairs will be necessary.

 

Consult a licensed electrician.

 

 

LawnRanger

Posted 2013-01-22T15:51:25+0000  by Travis_HD_ATL
 
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+