Sign In to join the community | Help
Build & Remodel

Gaps between interior drywall and brick wall

I have gaps between the drywall and a brick wall in all rooms of the house.  I would like to seal these, they range from very small to 3/4 of an inch.  Any suggestions?  The foam in a can scares me as I have not had luck judging the expansion rate in the past.    

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2012-10-18T16:06:40+0000  by carolynliv carolynliv


Hi Carolynliv,


You are on the right track. Expanding foam is definitely not the solution.


 It will cause problems with the drywall and it is difficult to smooth and finish.


I would recommend using paintable silicone caulk. Silicone is the most durable of the caulks, and is easy to work with.


If the gaps are over ½ inch deep, use a foam backer rod to fill in the gap to ½ inch below the surface then apply the silicone caulk.


Smooth the caulk with you finger, don’t over work the caulk, just smooth it and allow it to dry.


Once the caulk has dried you can paint it to match the walls.


Another option is to fill the gaps as above and apply molding to cover the caulk.


This will eliminate the need to paint over the caulk and will add an element of style to your home.


We sell many styles of molding at the Home Depot. Many are prefinished and make the job very easy.


Let us know what solution you choose and send us some photos. We love to see our member’s projects.



Posted 2012-10-18T17:09:54+0000  by Mike_HD_OC

With a gap of up to 3/4 inch, I would gravitate to the use of a decorative molding scribed and coped to the irregular masonry.

Posted 2012-10-22T16:08:32+0000  by ordjen
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question