Sign In to join the community | Help
Heating & Cooling

Garage lighting

I have a socket for a single standard base lightbulb for lighting in my garage in my newly built home.

How hard is it to replace this with a series of shop lights that take 4' bulbs?

I would like at least 2, connected together, but ideally 4, to adequately light the area.

I am very handy, but *afraid* of electrical work. I have installed light fixtures and replaced outlets and switches before though, so I know some of the basics.

Does it sound like this is something I can do I my own? 

Any advice is appreciated please!

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-01-08T22:14:54+0000  by memichelle1 memichelle1

Hey memichelle.

It is often that standard bulbs are inadequate lighting for garages but try one more possibility before changing out your fixtures. My garage it was too dark, so I got the 150 watt compact fluorescent bulbs and this gave me enough light to work.

This may be an option you already tried, therefore if you still want replace your fixtures then it is very simple and is absolutely something you can do yourself. The following video might help How to install lighting.

Fluorescent lighting will wire up the same way that the other fixture was wired. Be sure to kill the power to that circuit by flipping the breaker in the breaker box. I would recommend doing this project in the day time, open the garage doors so you have plenty of light to do this project. Come into the store and while picking up your light fixtures, talk to one of our electrical pros. They can get you everything you need and we can answer any other questions you may have.

Thank you for your question and welcome to the community.

Posted 2011-01-09T14:29:53+0000  by Ingar_HD_ATL

Hi  memichelle 1,

The solution that GreenGiant suggested is the easiest way to get more light from a single light bulb. A compact fluorescent light (CFL) that gives 150 watts of light  consumes less than 40 watts of electricity. They last longer, too.

I had the same dilemma in my basement/garage area. The area that I needed to light was about 20 feet square. I elected to change out my keyless light fixturekeyless.jpgthat has a round junction boxelectrical_boxes_ceiling.jpgwith a duplex receptacle duplex.jpg finished out with a round cover plate duplex_ceiling_cover.jpg . The duplex wires up just like the keyless does.

Be sure to follow safe wiring procedures as always. http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ContentView?pn=Boxes_Covers_Fittings&langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053&cm-sp=d27-_-Electrical_Boxes_Conduit_Fittings-_-Subcat-_-Know-How-_-buying_guides-_-fittings

After I added the receptacle, I selected two 4 ft. shop lights. shop_light.jpgThis unit has a 5 ft. power cord that plugs into the receptacle. You can locate the two fixtures up to 10 ft. apart, spreading the light source  to eliminate shadows. These lights use T-8 tubes that work in colder conditions and come on faster than the old T-12 bulbs. http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202052422/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

It's not as easy as changing a light bulb, but the new fixtures work great at my house!

I hope I helped. Welcome to the community.

LawnRanger

Posted 2011-01-18T14:55:58+0000  by Travis_HD_ATL

LawnRanger has the right idea.  I did the same in my shop, converting from 4 ceramic light fixtures to 4' shop lights.  The original bulbs were large 300w incandesant bulbs, and they were all on one 20 amp circuit as were the outlets.  This was ~12 amps just for lights (V*A=W).  As you can imagine, I had a choice of light and one power tool, or no light, power tool, and dust collection.  Just swapping the bulbs with shop lights was a major improvement.

Note, I have since rewired the shop to have its own 100 amp panel with lights and outlets separate, along with additional dedicated circuits for larger power tools.

Posted 2011-01-19T18:11:32+0000  by GrueMaster

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+