Sign In to join the community | Help
Outdoors

Gas grill on incline surface?

I know that every grilling safety article out there has "keep proper distance from house" and "place on level ground" as prime safety tips for grilling. My problem is pretty much the entirety of my yard area slopes away from the house as a downward slope. The most stable place to grill would be on the driveway outside the garage, but again, slopes downward.

Has anyone seen a good way to "level" the grill when a level surface is not available? (Note the decline isn't terribly steep, but I'd still like to play it safe.) Blocks perhaps? Seems like there should be a way, but I've been scouring the internet and found nothing.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-04-30T14:16:18+0000  by crono782 crono782

Hi crono782,

Gas grills perform best when operated on a level surface for several reasons. 

Safety is always the first consideration. A rolling fire box just isn't safe!

Uneven grills can't cook evenly. Heat rises, so if the burner isn't level, the heat moves toward the high side of the grill.

As grease drippings collect in the bottom of the grill, they may not drain out properly. This can create a mess from unpredictable areas under the grill.

Standardized leveling is not available because every leveling situation is unique. hat works for me might not work for you.

Many grills utilize plastic wheels, casters or feet where they contact the ground. Plastic is optimum because it is corrosion resistant.

Placing wheels onto blocks to level the grill could make the grill unstable. If you remove the casters, the grill could be more stable when place on blocks. 

If you remove one or more of these casters to level the grill, place the grill onto a material that won't contribute to rust and corrosion by exposing the steel legs to moisture. You don't want water to collect around the feet.

A level platform of 3/4" plywood on top of stacked patio pavers to hold your grill would offer one solution. Cut the plywood to match the size of your grill mat.

GrillMat.jpg

Thanks for asking and welcome to The Community!!

Travis

Posted 2013-04-30T16:30:03+0000  by Travis_HD_ATL

Thanks for the reply and welcome! New to having a house so there's lots to be done. :D I'm sure I'll be on here quite a bit.

Yeah, I was thinking something similar. Basically put together a level platform that the entire grill can rest on and not slip.

Posted 2013-04-30T17:54:40+0000  by crono782

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+