Sign In to join the community | Help
Outdoors

Gas vs. Electric?

Hi - I was wondering what your general thoughts are on gas mowers vs electric/battery mowers? Has one become more popular than the other recently? How do they compare on cost and on functionality? I'm a new homeowner and my lawn is about 3000sqft if that helps.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-10-14T17:39:03+0000  by mmgr mmgr

Howdy mmgr,

The battery vs corded vs gas mower is a question I get quite often. So let's look at the "pros and cons" of these types of mowers.

batt.jpg          cord.jpg

Electric Lawn Mowers

Electric mowers come in two varieties: corded and cordless. I’m glad to hear that there’s a model out there that doesn’t plug directly into an outlet. Say what you will, but I would be paranoid of running the cord over and electrocuting myself.

Looking past my fear of electrocution, I discovered that electric lawn mowers offer some pretty great benefits:

• No sparkplugs to change.
  • No fuel filters to change.
  • No oil to change.
  • No gasoline to fiddle with.
  • They may save money over time.
  • They’re better for the environment.
  • Quieter than traditional mowers.

These are all some pretty great benefits, right? Well, before you run to The Home Depot to get one, think about a few of the drawbacks:

• Corded models limit your mobility.
  • Cordless models may not offer a lot of mowing time – some only an hour.
  • They usually cannot handle thicker grasses well.
  • Watch for water when you mow.
  • Most can only handle 1/4 acre.

Gas Lawn Mowers

Gas-powered lawn mowers have many benefits:

• They can cut through tougher grass with ease.
  • No cord means you don't have a distance limit.
  • Gas mowers have the ability to mow larger areas without waiting for a battery to charge.
  • A little bit of gas goes a long way when mowing a lawn.
  • They’re more durable than most electric mowers.
  • No possibility of electrocution.

What are some of the cons?

• Most mowers are heavier than electric mowers.
  • They’re nosier than electric mowers.
  • They require regular engine maintenance.
  • They have difficult pull-start cords.
  • They emit carbon monoxide and dioxide into the atmosphere.

A gas lawn mower works well if you don’t mind a little maintenance. The extra power and mobility make it a great option particularly if you have a large yard.  However, if you have a small lawn and aren’t comfortable working on engines, opting for an electric mower might be the best option for you.

Happy Gardening,

Electric mowers come in two varieties: corded and cordless. I’m glad to hear that there’s a model out there that doesn’t plug directly into an outlet. Say what you will, but I would be paranoid of running the cord over and electrocuting myself.

Looking past my fear of electrocution, I discovered that electric lawn mowers offer some pretty great benefits:

• No oil to change.
  • They may save money over time (check out this graph for more info).

These are all some pretty great benefits, right? Well, before you run to the hardware store to one up, think about a few of the drawbacks:

• They may not handle thicker grasses well.
  • They tend to be more expensive than gas mowers.

Read more at http://www.quickenloans.com/blog/pros-cons-electric-gas-lawn-mowers#2IMi2XF1OrKqLZAo.99

• No oil to change.

These are all some pretty great benefits, right? Well, before you run to the hardware store to one up, think about a few of the drawbacks:

• They tend to be more expensive than gas mowers.

Read more at http://www.quickenloans.com/blog/pros-cons-electric-gas-lawn-mowers#2IMi2XF1OrKqLZAo.99

• No oil to change.

• No oil to change.

• No oil to change.

• No oil to change.

Posted 2013-10-14T20:11:57+0000  by Dave_HD_OC

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+