Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

Gel Extender for Behr Faux Glaze?

I am getting ready to start refinishing my 32 year old kitchen cabinets.  I will be priming with Zin Cover stain (after some sanding), base coating with Behr PP paint, glaze for effect, the topcoat with Varathane.  I want to do a faux wood grain effect using Behr Faux Glaze, which I already have.  I have done a lot of wall work, using the Behr's glaze and it dries very fast. even mixed at 4 to 1, glaze to paint.  To do a really good faux woodgrain, I need more open working time.  One HD know-how article (http://www.homedepot.com/hdus/en_US/DTCCOM/HomePage/Know_How/Project_Guides/Docs/Faux-Sponging.pdf) says to add gel retarder to the glaze.  Does anyone know if they are talking about the retarder you would use for artist's acrylic paints? (There is a Liquitex Gel Retarder available).  Thanks very much for any ideas you can share! 

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2012-05-03T20:34:10+0000  by clayartisan clayartisan

Welcome to our community Clayartisan! 

My name is Christine and I work in the paint department at The Home Depot in Atlanta. 

At your local Home Depot there is a product by Flood called Floetrol. This product is an additive that extends drying time in latex based paints. Many customers of mine who do faux finishing use this product. In talking with PaintPro, he suggests using 1 cap full per 8 ounces of paint. Adding too much may reduce the depth of color. 

Good Luck with your project. We would love to see pictures when you done! 

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask. 

Christine 

Posted 2012-05-07T13:15:01+0000  by Christine_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+