Sign In to join the community | Help
Build & Remodel

Giving space back to the attic

About 25 years ago, before our kids were born, we built a room in our attic to use as office space/craft room, so each of our kids could still have their own bedroom (we live in a 3 bedroom house).  Now, our oldest just graduated from college and our youngest is heading off to college, so we plan to change their rooms into that office space/craft room and no longer need the attic room.  Even though we ran A/C vents into that room along with second return-air duct, it's always warm up there during the summer.  We also appreciate the stairs less and less as we "mature."

The room has two A/C vents and a return-air duct as well as several built-in bookcases and a couple of simple built-in desks.  Our plan is to remove the two A/C vents and the return-air duct (leaving those holes open to the main attic), and simply close up the entrance from our room into the attic room, leaving all of the walls intact (sheetrock and insulation).  Is there any reason we would need to remove the sheetrock and insulation as well, opening up the entire space into the attic?    We plan to still use the space for storage, so I want to leave the floor in place, and even the bookshelves and desk drawers could come in handy for storage.
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2016-05-24T18:50:58+0000  by MikeM1388 MikeM1388

Hello MikeM1388.  Welcome to the Community!

Sounds like a good plan to me.  You definitely want to disconnect and cap off the HVAC ductwork, both supply and feeds, at the lower level.  If you can only do this in the attic, make sure you well insulate any exposed ducts so as to not draw any system energy away.

Otherwise, as long as you have good attic ventilation to the outside, both soffit and roof venting, then you are good to go.  The only reason I would remove parts of the "room" would be to remove roof insulation that blocks attic ventilation.  That should not have been put there in the first place, but often is.  The ventilation helps preserve the roof, and keeps your air conditioning bill down by reducing summer attic temperatures.  Yes, it's still going to be hot up there, but not as bad as a sealed attic would be.

Chris.

Posted 2016-05-24T20:04:47+0000  by Chris_HD_CHI

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+