Sign In to join the community | Help
Doors & Windows

Glass door knob dimensions

I want to install a Glass door knob and the hole is already cut out. How do I figure out its dimensions and measure the hole? And with what do I measure the hole do I use a measuring laser or could I use measuring tape? I am a little skeptical about buying a door knob without knowing the length and the width of the door knob. On top of that most of the Glass door knob reviews I have looked at on Home Depot's website, most of which mention that the pictures are misleading and that most people have to buy the parts separately. For example finding a square door latch that the spindle of a Glass Door knob goes in. I've tried looking for a set, in several places like Home Depot's Competition, Home Hardware and Menards with little success. I need help and some expertise. Also this is not an old door but a new one. HELP!!!!

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-10-03T01:05:10+0000  by Marsh_Waha Marsh_Waha

Hi Marsh_Waha,

Most glass door knobs use a square shaft and I agree finding a latch that accepts the square shaft can be a problem.

As far as hole size for the door, most glass knobs will cover any existing hole, any new holes will be smaller than

those required for a conventional door lock.

Unfortunately, we do not offer a large selection of glass door knobs on our site. However there are a number of sites on the internet which offer numerous models to choose from.

Mike,

Posted 2013-10-03T18:19:04+0000  by Mike_HD_OC

Hi, Mike

Thanks for the tip, but you still never answered my question of how do I measure the hole where the door knob goes?, do I use measuring tape? What do I use? 

Thanks,

Marshall_Waha

Posted 2013-10-04T01:22:08+0000  by Marsh_Waha

Hi, Mike

Thanks for the tip, but you still never answered my question of how do I measure the hole where the door knob goes?, do I use measuring tape? What do I use? 

Thanks,

Marshall_How

Posted 2013-10-04T01:23:10+0000  by Marsh_Waha

Hi Mike,

You forgot to answer my question of how do I measure the hole already cut in the door? Do I use measuring tape or another means? 

Thanks,

Marshall_Waha

Posted 2013-10-04T01:26:28+0000  by Marsh_Waha

Hi Marsh_Waha

A measuring tape will work fine. Just measure across the opening this will give you the diameter of the cutout.

Mostoftheexistingdoorlockcutoutsare21/8inchesindiameter. Thishasbeenthestandardforover50years.

The only exceptions are lock cutouts in mobile and manufactured homes, these may be smaller.

Mike,

Posted 2013-10-07T19:08:48+0000  by Mike_HD_OC

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+