Sign In to join the community | Help
Bath & Faucets

Glazed Porcelain in a shower?

Is Glazed Porcelain nonporous enough to be used in a shower? I really like the look of it but I am afraid that it will absorb water and not last as long other tiles commonly used in showers.
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2015-08-28T15:43:38+0000  by youranickname youranickname

Hello, and thank you for your question. Welcome to the community!

If you are referring to glazed porcelain tile to be used in a shower, then it can be used. 

As a substrate, porcelain is very durable and water-resistant....as long as it is maintained periodically by regular cleaning and resealing the surface.

Sealer repels any additional water as well as in the grout joints. Ask any flooring installer and they will tell you the same thing. Sealing the tiles afterwards is the key for any tile to last where it is prone to heavy contact with water.

The really big factor you need to consider in a shower isn't the substrate/type of tile, but rather its Coefficient of Friction, or C.O.F. number.  This means how well a tile can stand up to being slip resistant. Tiles are rated by this scale, and number higher than .50 is rated suitable for residential applications.

Be sure to look for this C.O.F. number whenever you are purchasing tile, and always seal the tiles/grout periodically to ensure no water will penetrate the surface. 

Let us know if you have any further questions.

Posted 2015-08-29T22:29:48+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL
Hi youranickname!

I've seen gorgeous showers with multiple body sprays and built-in benches made of soft tile like Travertine.

Glazed tile are much more durable.

THE TRICK:

Enhance Stone with TileLab Sealer

Or, click the link to see "How To."

Posted 2015-09-01T16:02:15+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+