Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

Glazing cloths?

What cloth works best to take glaze off of cabinets?  I am using the Rustoleum cabinet kit and love the glazing cloths provided.  However, I ran out of those and need to know what to use that is similar.  I used regular cheese cloth and had paint come off in several spots of the doors.  I don't know if regular cheese cloth is too coarse.  Any suggestions would be great.  Thanks!

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-10-22T17:19:23+0000  by elleraeb elleraeb

Hello ellleraeb!

You are so right about cheese cloth!

It is very porous and is commonly used to wipe off faux glaze.

The kit you purchased uses a smooth rag that is most similar to what we call "lint free rags" ... T-shirt material which is softer and not nearly as porous.

THE DIFFERENCE:

Cheese cloth removes faux glaze leaving streaked, irregular lines of glaze that create accents against the base coat color.

Lint free rags remove faux glaze more evenly, leaving more uniform coat of glaze over the entire surface ... almost a full coat of accent color that blends with the base coat color.

WHY DID IT REMOVE PAINT?

In most faux processes, your base coat is fully cured before adding glaze.

The experience you had, paint coming off the door as you wiped off the glaze, indicates that the base coat most likely had not fully cured.

HOW TO PROCEED?

Switch to lint free rags and allow additional time for the base coat to cure before glazing.

Posted 2013-10-22T18:41:05+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+