Sign In to join the community | Help
Paint

Glitter on bedroom wall

I want to create a light glitter accent wall to my bedroom (picture below of what I hope to achieve).  I have heard that the best way to do so is to paint the wall whatever base colour you want (beige for me), add glitter to a glaze, and then paint over the base colour once dry.  My questions are:
1. Does the base paint have to be a particular type to ensure that the glaze paints over well?
2. Is there a certain type of glaze I need to achieve the look I want - not shiny/reflective?
3. Can I add any fine craft glitter, or do i need a special glitter that will keep its sparkle and not flake off once dry?
4. Any tools recommended to complete this project?

Painting newbie here.

Thanks.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2015-08-31T04:42:10+0000  by Tanya9123 Tanya9123

Welcome to our community Tanya! 

Thank you for your questions! This sounds like a fun project! 

Let's address each question one by one. 

1. Does the base paint have to be a particular type to ensure that the glaze paints over well?
Typically when someone uses a glaze, I recommend using a semi-gloss finish underneath. You will want to use this so some sheen comes through the glaze and also for durability.

2. Is there a certain type of glaze I need to achieve the look I want - not shiny/reflective?
The glaze that we carry, the Ralph Lauren Faux glaze, has a satin finish. We do not have a glaze available in something that is not shiny. 

3. Can I add any fine craft glitter, or do i need a special glitter that will keep its sparkle and not flake off once dry?

If  you use craft glitter it has a possibility of flaking. It is recommended that you add a glitter paint additive. Click here to see the glitter additive we carry on our website. This product is automotive grade, and is expensive. You might want to consider purchasing a paint with glitter already mixed in. If you do this, you don't have to worry about mixing glitter in to a glaze. Click here to check out our glitter paint. 

4. Any tools recommended to complete this project?
There aren't any special tools that you would need to complete this project. If you mix the glitter into the glaze, you should consider dumping the glaze into a bigger bucket to make sure you can mix it thoroughly. Other than that, the same type of roller or brush that you would use to paint a wall will be just fine for this project. 

Best of luck with your project! I hope it turns out exactly like you want. :-) 

If you have any more questions, please let us know! 

Christine 

Posted 2015-08-31T13:13:09+0000  by Christine_HD_ATL
Hi Tanya9123,

You're not alone ... several other members of The Community have undertaken this process.

Click the link to jump to How To Paint Stars On Your Ceiling.

The same ten steps can be applied to your walls.

The only variation will be using glaze instead of paint to mix with your glitter.

Although you'll see the paint sheen through your glaze, glaze typically doesn't have sheen ... in fact, glaze slightly dulls the sheen of the paint underneath because it dries so flat.

NOTE:
In the other thread we discuss adding Martha Living Glitter.

That product isn't available at the store any longer, but you can substitute glitter from your craft store.

You'll create a stronger visual impact if you use a spritz of varying size as well as a spritz of varying pattern density.

FINALLY:
You'll note in my ten steps I mention waiting 6-hours before adding another layer of glaze.

You should use this technique when adding different size glitter as well as when making higher density patterns.

Please come back and share photos of your handiwork with The Community.
Posted 2015-09-01T13:28:29+0000  by Pat_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+