Sign In to join the community | Help
Lawn & Garden

Grass for shade only.

What kind and how do I get grass to grow under an oak tree that is always shaded 24 hours a day. I cant find anything that will grow there.

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2013-07-16T14:21:39+0000  by donnalee23 donnalee23

Hi donnalee23,

I call this scenario "The Three Strikes, You're Out Lawn".

Strike 1: All grasses require sunlight to grow. An Oak tree will shade out 70% of the light that grass needs.

Strike 2: Grass requires water to grow. Oak trees can consume 50 gallons of water per day, leaving no water for the lawn.

Some types of grass will tolerate some shade. These are the cool season grasses, such as Fescue and Rye grass.

These cool season grasses need to be seeded during the Fall of the year. Apply them in September so that they germinate during October. 

This brings us to the third strike.

Strike 3: As the tender new grass germinates, the leaves begin falling, smothering out the new grass. 

When conditions prevent successful cultivation of certain plants such as grass, consider other ground cover like pachysandra and ajuga or shade loving shrubs like acuba and azalea.

Sometimes mulch is the best recommendation, since it helps the tree, instead of competing with it. You will find that weeds won't grow well there, either.

Good luck to you. Love your tree!

Travis 

Posted 2013-07-16T14:49:44+0000  by Travis_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+