Sign In to join the community | Help
Install & Replace

Grounding my house

I was woundering how to I ground my room. All I know is that an at least eight foot copper rod must be inserted to the ground with a wire coming out, but where do I put that wire, what must the guage be, and what will i have to do to insert the new copper wire to the plugs in the house. But I'm not exactly sure if my room is grounded already or not. It might just be some plugs that are not grounded. It's because in a room with three outlets, only one is grounded. Last thing, if i install a GFCI plug wil that totaly replace the ground plug on the two ungrounded outlets or will there still be a problem. Either way if it it's way (I mean WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY) to hard I can call my cousin's dad to do it (he's an electrition) but i think that will be a bit coustly (epecialy since I'm only thirteen). Are there any solutions that are simple enough for me to do (I'm still really good at electronics and how they work for age thirteen).

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-05-08T07:55:05+0000  by BatteryMan42 BatteryMan42

I have the same problem.  Dont know what wire gage you would need but do know you have to dig a deep hole for grounding rod then run the wire to each outlet you want grounded  the tricky part is crawling around under the house with spiders and outher bugs,  if you take the outlets off the wall drop the wire  down and make one conection to grounding rod.

Posted 2011-05-08T21:49:07+0000  by glenab16

and always TURN OFF THE POWER at breaker boxs  before working on anything --outlets switches or lights

Posted 2011-05-08T21:51:31+0000  by glenab16

Hello BatteryMan42,

Outlets in your room are most likely already grounded.

Easy way to test this would be with one of these inexpensive plug in tester that already have a ground fault test button on them.

tester.jpeg

If it happens that they are not grounded I would recommend hiring a licensed electrician to run a new ground wire(s) from the panel to the outlet(s).

Hope this helps and welcome to the community.

Posted 2011-05-09T19:54:06+0000  by George_HD_CHI

I would agree it would be better to hire someone to do it right than risk what could go wrong.  But if you decide to do it yourself  home depot sells the grounding wire clamp and also grounding wire its by the plumming section.  I dont know if they also sell the outlet tester but they probably do.

Posted 2011-05-28T23:41:15+0000  by glenab16

Hello BatteryMan42: You have several good questions let me go through them 1 by 1 I go by elect_answers here in the neighborhood, I am a sparky @ a Depot in the burbs of Chicago.

First things first what ever your age, it is almost always a REALLY BAD idea to be working in an electrical panel unless you have the training to do the work safely. Same situation for working with household wiring, training, and proper tools are critical!

Safety first last and always, here we go: 1.) How you would ground your room, through the receptacles in your room would likely be by having a green, (or bare wire depending on materials used to wire your world) attached to the green ground screw @ each device.

2.)  Yes standard practice usually calls for an 8' copper plated rod to be driven near your electric service, ( some places require 2 rod at least 8' apart, depending on rules where you live), and to have a # 8 gauge wire run from the rod, to the neutral terminal screw strip of your panel.

3.) I am not sure about what you mean about inserting a new copper wire to the plugs in your room? Does the wiring in your world have 2 wires or 3, is it plastic coated cable with a black, white, and bare copper, or how was the wiring done?  Depending on the method used in your wiring the devices may be grounded, and may be not? Others have shown a tester with 3 lites used to quickly show if wiring is correct @ a receptacle. Have you tried using 1 of these in your world or not? How do you know only 1 of the 3 outlets in your room is grounded? Do you think 1 is grounded because you tested them all , or because the do not even have a round hole underneath the hot and , neutral where the grounding prong of a grounded device would plug in? ( I am puzzled by how you come to this conclusion?) 

4.) g.f.c.i. Receptacles protect people from getting hurt by the way they work. They DO NOT have the ability to create a ground where none exists!  ( Levitons web site covers how g.f.c.i. Protection works, see part 6 of posting ) 

5.) I am pretty sure if you were to ask an electrician, who is a  family member like your cousins dad for help, that he would be able to find time to make sure you do things safely! Electricity is nothing to take chances with, there is enough in basic house wiring to do real harm to people who do not treat it with the respect it deserves!

6.) Any one like you who has internet access can go to Levitation companies web site: www.leviton,com. Click on  "ez-tools", then slide down to "ez-learn", and register for many hours of FREE education about how electricity works, and how to use products Leviton sells on shelves of a Home Depot store or as a special order, to do almost any project you could want to do. Starting with basic education through to the skills needed to TV, phone, computer, and whole house intercom systems, and audio systems. 

7.) Please come back for more help when ready, and remember " SAFETY FIRST LAST AND ALWAYS " 

Ralph

Posted 2011-05-29T07:59:54+0000  by elect_answers

I am having same issue as 13yeaer old guy.   Our house was build in 1950 and came with 2 prong outlets with 2 wires white and black.  Black is hot and from what i read white is netral that grounds at power company away from the house and also white can be hot sometimes.  A bit confusing and i am 39 years old.  I have young kids in the home 2years and 8months so was wondering if we have proper grounding. I  Bought a outlet tester and found some outlets are grounded and most are not.  Some have been changed to 3 prong over the years and are not grounded  the grounded outlets are in bathrooms where we had a contractor remodel adding fans and adding new cgfi outlets.  So with kids around doing things kids do how important is it to get every outlet grounded and how much should this cost on average for a 3 bedroom home with good under house crawl space and a acces panel to attaic.

Posted 2011-05-29T16:42:59+0000  by glenab16

glenab16 wrote:

I am having same issue as 13yeaer old guy.   Our house was build in 1950 and came with 2 prong outlets with 2 wires white and black.  Black is hot and from what i read white is netral that grounds at power company away from the house and also white can be hot sometimes.  A bit confusing and i am 39 years old.  I have young kids in the home 2years and 8months so was wondering if we have proper grounding. I  Bought a outlet tester and found some outlets are grounded and most are not.  Some have been changed to 3 prong over the years and are not grounded  the grounded outlets are in bathrooms where we had a contractor remodel adding fans and adding new cgfi outlets.  So with kids around doing things kids do how important is it to get every outlet grounded and how much should this cost on average for a 3 bedroom home with good under house crawl space and a acces panel to attaic.

Years back I’ve asked the same question...

Think like this;

HOT wire carries constant current.

NEUTRAL provides a RETURN for that same current (normal AC operation).

GROUND is the protective conductor which is there to redirect the faulty current outside the circuit.

So with kids around doing things kids do I would as soon as possible put all of the PROTECTIVE equipment in functional use.

Posted 2011-05-31T21:11:30+0000  by George_HD_CHI

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+