Sign In to join the community | Help
Flooring

Grout darkens when sealed

I have a new house with tile on the floor and some walls. The tile was laid a couple of months before I moved in. The grout is antique white. The grout is sand based. I was told I would need to seal it. I put some impregnator 511 down on a few lines and it darken the shade of the grout a bit. I waited weeks, it still was dark. I tried topical sealer. Same thing. I tried cleaning the grout with vinegar/water. That alone darkened the grout even without any sealer. What gives? I was told this shouldn't happen but it does. How can I seal my grout with a penetrator and keep the antique white color? Thanks for your help.
Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2017-09-15T13:53:55+0000  by groutup groutup

Hi groutup,

The grout darkens as it contains sand and sand absorbs moisture of any kind, when it does it turns darker.
The only solution is to remove the sanded grout and replace it with non sanded grout. This in my opinion is not worth the effort for the small difference in appearance it will achieve,  I would seal the grout and move on to other projects.

Mike
Posted 2017-09-18T19:52:27+0000  by Mike_HD_OC

Hey groutup,

Your grout could of changed color due to either improper mixing of the grout or even using impure water. 

New sealer won't change the color unless you remove it as Mike earlier suggested. However, you can opt for another easier solution without physically taking out the new grout.

Use Grout Renew, it is sold at your local Home Depot store and comes in an easy to apply bottle...and comes in your antique white color. Click here to read more about it. It simply goes on with a small paint brush. While this may sound tedious, its a far better option that removing the grout and starting anew. 

This does act as a paint, but also doubles as a sealer, so you don't have to worry about water damage seeping through for a long time.

Let us know if you have any further questions,

Joseph

Posted 2017-09-18T23:59:30+0000  by Joseph_HD_ATL

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+