Sign In to join the community | Help
Lawn & Garden

Guidelines to follow when designing a landscape.

I would like to discuss a few guidelines I follow when designing landscapes. Know your customer by asking questions to help decide what material would suite them best.

How much time do you have to spend in the yard per week?

Do you want low maintenance shrubs, or can you occasionally trim bushes?

What are your favorite colors?

What kind of budget are we working with?

Do you have any favorite plants or other requests?

Repetition is also a key element when doing a design, because it helps create unity and helps avoid creating a "hodge podge" of plants. So if you Stella De Oro daylilies on one side of the yard, use it on the other side.

Use color to create focal points in areas that you would like to draw attention to, weather it is a sitting area, gazebo, or a front door area. Be sure not to accentuate an area that you don't want people to see.

Break things up with different color and texture plants by adding ornamental grasses, perennials,and different height plants to give it dimension. Use evergreen shrubs as a foundation plant rather than deciduous shrubs.

It doesn't always have to be plants. I do enjoy a nice specimen tree (Cryptomeria, Deodara Cedar, October glory maple) but you can also break it up with boulders, birdbaths, benches or even gazing balls.

Theme gardens are nice and often a request from the homeowner. They are definitely one of my favorite parts of doing a design. Weather it is a rock garden,Japanese garden, or a butterfly garden, they are a lot of fun and often the homeowners favorite place to relax.

Get to know your customer by asking questions. This is the best way to assure that your customer gets the yard of their dreams on budget.

Other related articles: 

46 Flowers and Plants That Will Upgrade Your Landscaping

Need suggestions with your annual flower beds?

Easy Landscape Design Rules Used by the Experts

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-02-03T20:26:41+0000  by Ingar_HD_ATL Ingar_HD_ATL

Topic
Categories+