Sign In to join the community | Help
Install & Replace

HANGING DRYWALL UPSTAIRS

JUST NEED TO ASK.    I WANT TO REPLACE THE DRYWALL IN AN UPSTAIRS BEDROOM, BUT I DONT KNOW ALL THE STEPS TO TAKE.     I KNOW THAT THE FIBER GLASS INSULATION MY NEED TO BE REPLACED ONCE THE DRYWALL IS DOWN, BUT WILL I NEED A VAPOR BARRIER ON ALL THE WALLS BECAUSE OF THE ATTIC.   THANKS

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question
Posted 2011-03-07T16:29:14+0000  by WOOLF160 WOOLF160

Greetings WOOLF160 and welcome to the community!

I’m glad you are asking this question, vapor barrier is very important when it comes to construction and it only works if it’s placed-installed correctly.

But before we get to vapor barrier we need to mention some steps that need to be taken during demolition.

Having said that you want to replace drywall in an upstairs I’m going to assume you already have some kind of plaster- drywall that needs to be removed.

Your first step prior to demolition would be to review type of the material that was previously installed.

If this is an older home contact your local building department and inquire about previous demolition projects in your area.

Building in the past where often constructed with materials that are no longer accepted and in use, these same materials can contain asbestos or lead and OSHA approved equipment needs to be used   during demolition.

If your home has an old knob and tube wiring take caution during demolition and if possible bring power source from the non working area.

Vapor barrier placement depends on your climate, geographical location and type of materials previously used on your home.

vapor_barrier

Some construction materials already come with integrated vapor diffusion retarder and additional membrane it is not required. A common example of this is paper or aluminum backed insulation.

In most cold climates vapor barrier should be placed on the interior of the wall while in hot climates vapor barrier should be placed on the exterior of the home.

Some exceptions apply to southern climates where  vapor barrier should be omitted, see attached image.

Vapor barrier it’s usually not placed on the ceilings with exception of some very cold climates with more than 8000 heating days.

Being that you haven’t specified you location I would recommend referring to this DOE LINK for exact placement of the vapor barrier in your home.

Something else that I would recommend to look in to its Owens Corning spray foam insulation.

moisture_migration.gif

Spray foam insulation comes in open and closed cell and it can triple the R value of your  walls.

In addition when using  polyurethane or closed cell foam insulation vapor diffusion retarder it’s not needed  and smallest air leakeages are  sealed.

Caution needs to be taken when spraying insulation onto attic ceilings, be aware that you may need to use the open-cell, or isocyanurate insulation for space to breathe.

spot_contractors.jpg

And finally drywall, please consult with you building department on required fire rating for exteriors walls and ceilings, 5/8 drywall might  be required for exterior walls.

Hope this helps and again welcome to the community.

George

Posted 2011-03-07T18:23:40+0000  by George_HD_CHI

Not what you were looking for ? Try posting a question

Topic
Categories+